XI

True had come down with a cold. October was nearly over, and the two had been excited for Halloween in the coming week. Marlowe had made arrangements to see Nick again- this time, with True there.

But for now, True could hardly move. With fall came biting winds and chilled air. That, coupled with midterm stress and beginning to work part time at the coffee shop down the street was enough to take him down a few notches.

"Do you want soup?" Lowe asked, brushing his fingertips over his boyfriends searing forehead. Sniffling pathetically, True shook his head.

"Tea?" Another shake.

"Cuddles?" With a sheepish grin, True shuffled a little and nodded. Chuckling, Lowe hunkered down on the couch next to him, letting True nestle in beside him.

"Remember when we were little? You always used to get sick." Lowe reminisced, dragging his palm over True's arm under the blankets.

"Mhm, I remember you used to make me play in the rain." Lowe smirked and shook his head.

"I didn't make you." His defence was weak. He remembered all too well.

"You coerced me. Our moms used to get so mad," True laughed, turning into a slight cough before he sighed and let his head fall into Lowe's neck.

"Your immune system is just shit, always has been. Someone with the flu could look at you and you'd be down for the count." Pressing his lips to True's hair, he couldn't help but smile. Even when he was sick, he still smelt like warmth and cinnamon. He would always smell like home.

"Yeah, that's true." He conceded, voice nasally and sick.

"No, you're True." Lowe snorted at his own lame joke, making True laugh and press his cold lips to the underside of Lowe's exposed jaw.

"You never get sick." True mentioned once they'd fallen into peaceful silence, the TV providing ample background noise.

"You do it enough for the both of us." It still felt surreal to Lowe, the fact that he had True, his own perfect other half. He'd known it his whole life, that somehow he and True belonged together. But he'd always assumed they'd be best friends.

Never did he think he'd be so fortunate to be allowed more.

"Are you sure you don't want soup?"

"You suck at making soup. Anything, actually." Lowe pouted yet couldn't deny it. True did all the cooking, for the sake of their tummies, and their safety.

"I'll order some in."

"Now that I can get behind." True smiled and pressed a cold foot to Lowe's shin, making him gasp and glare playfully.

"You're cold."

"I'm sick. Deal with it. 'In sickness and in health' and all that mushy shit." Lowe blushed slightly.

"We're not even married you dork." He teased, pinching True's cheek. 

"Not yet." Both of them blushed, falling into content quiet as the night, and the rest of their lives unfolded before them.