XVI

"Actually, I hate it." The words tasted bitter and phenomenal all at once. The impact didn't hit him at first, he just felt so much lighter as the words left the cage in his chest where they'd lived for what felt like his entire life.

"What on earth do you mean, Marlowe?" His mother piped up, setting her fork down. She laughed then, gesturing to him teasingly. "Always cracking jokes. What a typical university student thing to say." No one else laughed.

"No, mom. I mean it. I hate what I'm studying. I hate that defence attorneys help the bad guys go free. No offence, dad. But it's true. You got your name helping people who- in most cases- were guilty. And I don't feel good about that at all."

The silence that followed was heavy and sank over them all thickly. Marlowe swallowed hard and folded his hands together in his lap. He felt ill and entirely unsure of what would come next. He hated it.

"You can't possibly mean that." His father started. Marlowe wanted to cry, or scream or something. They weren't listening and he didn't know how much he had left. True was silent and looked baffled. Nick was staring down at his plate awkwardly, probably grateful that Marlowe was taking the fall he thought he would take.

"I'm switching my degree." The quiet stretched, miles and minutes, until each person at the table felt weighted and unsure.

"This isn't proper dinner conversation anyway. We can discuss this later, Marlowe." His mother finally stated, resuming her meal. It was as if a still photograph came back to life. Everyone continued to eat, and a few moments later Nick began to speak, easing the tension.

"I found a nice apartment I'm going to apply for." His father glanced up and swallowed slowly.

"Well aren't the two of you just full of surprises this evening." Nick laughed, and his father cracked a slightly unsure grin, shaking his head.

Marlowe couldn't help but wonder when this role reversal had happened and how he'd managed to completely miss it. He'd always been the good son, the obedient, well mannered one who his parents adored.

And now it seemed he was taking the role of disappointment and Nick had scooped up all his hard work over his lifetime and happily reaped the rewards.

When he glanced up, he found True, smiling softly, and even if he felt he was losing, he knew somehow, he would always win.