XVII

"That was...something else." True breathed as they headed towards their apartment. It was progressively getting darker and colder out as evening softened into the night. Marlowe tightened his scarf around his neck and scratched the back of his head with one gloved hand.

"I'm sorry." He replied, stepping through the door True held open.

"For what? You were honest with your parents for the first time in your entire life. I think that's awesome." Lowe scoffed and shook his head, ruffling some snow out of his hair.

"It didn't do anything. Now they're just pissed at me. And Nick is this perfect son now and they're just acting like the past 15 years didn't matter." True kicked his shoes off and shrugged out of his coat.

"I think you're forgetting how hard it's been on you to be the perfect son for so long. And to get nothing concrete in return. I think you standing up for yourself was pretty bad ass."

As the silence stretched between them, it was soft, as gentle as True's smile, as steady as Lowe's beating heart.

"I love you."

"You sap. Come'ere." True kissed him, hands holding his jaw surely. And Lowe couldn't have felt more at home anywhere else.

Moments later, as they settled on the couch to watch some television, True glanced sideways at his best friend, his best everything. And he felt so damn lucky, as he always did around Marlowe. He felt his lips curve up the slightest bit, and this warmth flood through his chest, this overwhelming sense of perfection. 

"What are you staring at?" Marlowe turned his head, quirking a single brow up. True just smiled wider, reaching out and tugging at Lowe's fingers. 

"Just...everything."