XIV

"They're trying to make me fail, I know it." Throwing his pencil onto the desk, True leaned back into his chair and groaned, pressing his palms into his temples.

"I think you're overreacting somewhat," Lowe commented softly, reaching forward from his perch on the bed nearby and carding his fingers through True's messy hair.

"No, I'm serious. I cannot write this paper- it's all wrong, and no matter what I cannot-" Lowe covered Trues busy lips with his hand before leaning down and kissing him sweetly.

"Let's take a break then, it's almost time to leave anyways." Sighing, True nodded, pushing the chair back and standing, arching his back in a long stretch.

"So you let Nick pick the restaurant for dinner? Are you sure that was a good idea?" Rifling through their closet, he pulled out a navy dress shirt and a pair of black dress pants, nicely fitted.

"Well, he's gotta try and win my parents over somehow." Stepping into his own dress pants, Lowe couldn't ignore the painful squeezing in his chest.

Tonight would be the first time in three and a half months that he'd be ignoring the existence of his and True's relationship. His parents had no idea, and Nick didn't know yet either.

"I don't want to go." He announced finally, fingers frozen on the top button of his olive green shirt. True raised a brow, stalling his motions of fixing his cuff.

"Why not? What's with the sudden change?" Stepping towards his boyfriend, he reached out to brush his fingers over Lowe's prominent jaw.

"I can't be yours around them. Didn't you think of that?" Panic was taking over his mind, making every scenario the worst possible.

"Hey, calm down. It's alright." But it wasn't, not really. True wasn't fully prepared either. His feelings toward Marlowe weren't a switch- he couldn't pretend they were strictly platonic when it was clear they weren't. Nevertheless, he knew Marlowe relied on him to calm the storm, so he did.

"I'm okay with you acting like we're aren't together. We've only been dating a few months. And I'm not going to force you to tell your family." Sighing and tugging at his chestnut locks, Lowe nodded.

"I know. But it doesn't mean I don't feel like shit for making you do this. You don't deserve that."

"And you don't deserve how your parents treat you. Sometimes, life isn't fair." Letting out a slightly stressed chuckle, Lowe raised his warm eyes to meet True's.

"Sometimes you sound like a fortune cookie." They both laughed, and shaking his head True went back to getting ready.

An hour later, they were heading to the restaurant, both wondering what awaited them, and hoping for the best.