The Matter of Genji

"Jack, you can't do that!"

"And why not, Gabriel!? He's nothing but the next in line to the yakuza."

"He was never involved and you know it. We can't turn him into a weapon! It's against his will! Against our own morals in which Overwatch stands!!"

"We have orders from the U.N. Gabe. There's nothing we can do for that criminal."

"Don't you dare treat Genji like you treat McCree! They are both victims of circumstance. Besides, they're under my custody. You can't force orders upon them! If Angela found out about this, she would agree with me!"

"Gabe, he could have answers to what happened to the yakuza after you picked him up! Maybe he was just a distraction for the Shimada clan to escape!"

"That would never happen! Wave had been keeping close tabs on Genji, his brother, and the clan. They were planning on killing him and almost succeeded because you wouldn't allow me to move in right away! All because you don't trust any of Wave's information!!!"

"I can't trust someone I haven't met! What if he's just a spy trying to take down Overwatch from within!?"

"Wave wouldn't do that! He's been nothing but helpful with each and every Blackwatch mission. He helped save Genji's life! I'm pretty sure he's earned some trust. Besides, if I asked Wave, he could give me a full report on what happened to the Shimada clan."

"While you do that, I'm having a word with the Shimada. You're dismissed Reyes," Jack said as he entered Genji's medical room.

Gabriel was pissed. The thought of Genji being weaponized was awful. He feared this would break the kid's spirit and anger Wave. However, he had no authority over it or any of the new programs the Strike-Commander had approved. Wave told him about the experimental flight program, and saw all the dangers that came with it.

Gabriel sighed, seeing there was no reason to be upset just to take it out on others. He needs to figure out what happened to the Shimada clan. Wave had the answer, but he wanted McCree to ask Beak. He was more worried about Genji's situation and how Wave would take it.

So Gabriel told McCree to text Beak about the Shimada clan, while he was going to message his concerns for Genji to Wave. But just before he sent it, Soundwave texted him to go to the observation room. Gabriel wasn't surprised that Wave knew about the room. Angela had put Genji in a room with a one way mirror to monitor his mental state because of his condition. Only Gabriel and Ana knew about this room. The Strike-Commander would too if he read the report.

Once he was in the room, Gabriel was greeted with the sight of Angela listening in on the conversation between the young Shimada and the Commander of Overwatch. Gabriel sat next to Angela as he watched the scene play out.

"How are you feeling, Mr. Shimada?"

"I feel fine. Thanks to Dr. Ziegler, I'm going to live."

"So, you feel indebted to her?"

"Her, McCree, Commander Reyes, Wave, and Beak. They're the reasons I'm alive now. How I survived the beating my brother gave me."

"Cut down by your own brother. Must have hurt you a lot."

"It did, but it wasn't his fault."

"Do you resent him?"

"I could never resent my brother."

"Yet he cut you up and left you a cripple."

"Not of his own accord! The Elders were the ones to make him!"