Prologue: Storm

The ice cracked and snapped loudly beneath Spot's hooves. A quick pull on the reins was all it took to steer the mare away from the snow-covered river and back onto the safety of the muddy white earth. Years it had been since the Summer Dragon had arrived so early to chase the Winter Bear from its dark cave of abundance.

With Spring lurking around the corner, it was almost a shame to leave home. But duty had called and thus he had left the frozen door of his cottage behind and had mounted a well-packed Spot, setting course south, to hopefully even warmer weather.

That had been four hours ago. Now he was blowing his greying hair from his eyes to squint at the blurry outlines of The Great Bridge. Five miles, maybe six, between him and the only man-made passage to the kingdom of Silvermark in this region.

But his journey wouldn't take him there. For one, he didn't want the entire kingdom to know he was gone, and secondly, the thaw would have made the wood too slippery anyway.

Twirling his hand, he stretched his arm in front of him. As the air gathered around his fingers, the mighty northern wind whistled obediently in his ears, ready to be bent to his will.

With a flick of his fingers, he thrust along the mile-long death trap of treacherous snow and melting ice.

Below the saddle, a trembling Spot let out a gut-wrenching neigh. Even after all these years, his brown-spotted companion hadn't grown accustomed to travelling in the air. Still, he would never trade her for one of those Sootwings; the giant birds may be faster, but they were irksome and noisy creatures by nature.

With a chuff and a snort, she landed into the deep slush-like slick on the other river bank. He patted her neck. "I'm sorry, girl. It was needed."

In reply, she quickened her pace to a swift gallop, tiny ice fragments slipping from her hooves and smacking against his back as though they were pebbles. Her neigh had turned into mocking laughter.

"Spot... Spot..." He circled his hand around the saddle, conjuring a layer of thick air that blocked the horse's playful attacks. "Don't try to outsmart me. I've known you since you were but a foal. It won't work, girl."

The horse neighed in defeat, slowing down to a steady gait.

He breathed in. The Silvermark air smelled sweeter already. A visit to Moondale also meant visiting the most beautiful woman in the world. He had known Cobra since she had been a babe, yet at six, she had already been more gorgeous than ladies thrice her age. As the only daughter to Lord Viper of Sapphire Island, a lonely but wealthy Silvermark setting surrounded by Ician Waters, she had long been in the running to become his wife. Sadly, the young Lion Prince had snatched her away before Father had sealed the deal.

He hadn't wanted another woman since. No matter how large their bosoms, his heart still longed for the gracious Queen of the Silvermarkers.

There was still hope. With her grieving the passing of her daughter, he would be the perfect shoulder to cry on. Unless they died in childbirth, Queens always outlived their warlike husbands.

For many hours, he and Spot sprinted down the barren wastelands as the first conquerors to set hoof on the road south since the woodpecker had settled in the roof of Bigcastle last autumn, announcing the Winter Bear's arrival. When deep wheel and horseshoe tracks from the east announced another traveller, he pulled the reins.

The tracks belonged to a brown one-horse wagon that rattled amiably a mile or two down the road.

He recognised that pace anywhere. 

River.

Father had mentioned that his brother was heading south too. River must have left his quarters in Bigcastle not long before he had closed the door of his cottage behind him.