Chapter 43 - Sebastian (Part 2)

As soon as they left the base and its barracks behind them, they started to climb. A steep and endless climb, made worse by a biting side wind, a fog thick as pea soup, and hard as rock snow turned to ice. The weight of the iron shield pressed on his shoulders. His stomach clenched with pangs of hunger. With every step, his left knee ached with the phantom pain of a cut that had long healed, and his hands froze to useless icy lumps. All but a nuisance in comparison to the stinging of his bruised nose. More than once, he wished humans did not have to breathe.

He wasn't the only one struggling. In fact, he regularly had to take smaller steps or stop to catch a few breaths to not pass the older men. Damaging their ego up here, where a quick shove could lead to a fall he would not survive, meant staying out of trouble was his number one priority.

"I didn't expect you to do so well," Adam said, panting next to him. "We've had lads your age along before. At best, they sob quietly, but most shiver and shake, begging for their dear old mother to come and save them."

"My mother can't come and save me," Sebastian said.

"Can't or won't?"

Sebastian thought for a while. "Both," he said cryptically.

"So why are you here?"

"I couldn't sleep so Lieutenant Raymond decided I should come along."

Adam grinned. "No-no, lad, at Whitepeak."

"They hoped the mountain would teach me obedience. You?"

"I killed someone."

As though the God of Pride had heard his casual confession, Adam slipped over a rock.

Sebastian stuck out his hand, grabbing the man by the fur sticking out from the breastplate. Instead of direct fall, both tumbled down. Two shield turtles on top of each other.

Serjeant Hopkin shot a menacing glance.

"We're fine." Sebastian raised his hands.

"Watch where you're going," huffed the Serjeant, "and don't fall behind."

"Any other day, I'd race you to the top," Sebastian mumbled. He loosened the shield's strap to free himself, then helped Adam up. He took his time, allowing a certain distance to form between them and the patrol.

"Thanks, lad," the soldier said. He reattached Sebastian's shield.

"Kindness lives in you."

Adam waved his remark away. "Our Goddess has not visited me since I strangled..." He stopped abruptly. "It doesn't matter, sins of the past. I cannot change what I did."

"The Gods of Virtue are still around. They haven't abandoned you," Sebastian said, continuing the climb. Abby, Fox, Alex, and Billy were dead because of him; that didn't mean the Gods had forsaken him.

"Whitepeak doesn't offer redemption, lad. There's only more violence and death."

"With a purpose," Sebastian taunted him.

No grunt, huff, or sniff. Adam didn't take the provocation. Without any food or drink to share, to loosen the tongue, the only other tactic was a direct approach.

Since the other five men were out of earshot, Sebastian took his chance. "What did you mean, earlier, when you spoke off the mess you were in?"

"Ah." Adam shook his head. "I shouldn't tell you, lad."

"Afraid I'll snitch it to someone? It's not like I'm going anywhere."

"No, but..."

"Please? Maybe I can help."