Chapter 35 - Alex

Alex called all fourteen Gods and Goddess. To convince Captain Ilona to travel to Silvermark, she first had to board the Kraken's Kiss. And to board the ship, she first had to sway Kaisa, Dag, and Liene sitting on the gangplank, watching her approach, each a bottle in their hand—empty by the lack of drinking motions. Their looks sullen. They stopped their murmuring as Alex asked, "How's Pan?"

"Halfway between the Heavenly Halls and the Seven Hells," Dag answered.

"So he's alive?" Alex reasoned.

"He breathes, and his heart is beating," Kaisa said, her voice low. "If you can call that alive, then, aye."

"Pan wanted to fight. He wanted to be my madman, the saviour of Greenies too green for the cove." Alex smiled upon reciting his words. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean..."

"Don't apologise for something that's not your fault," Liene said.

"But it is my fault," Alex's voice rose. She took a deep breath, finding the God of Patience within. "If it weren't for my ribs, I would have fought Selachii myself. I accused him of killing the Boyar. I should have wielded the dagger."

Liene raised an eyebrow. Her fingers playing with the loose end beneath her thick braid. "Is it heavy—the weight of the world on your shoulders?"

"What?"

"You dip and dash around the place as though the fate of the world depends on you. Let life sail its course, young Greenie. Learn to ride the waves instead of going against the current. Pan understood it. Whether he'll live or die is not up to you."

"So you don't blame me?" Alex asked, hesitantly.

"Ilona thinks you're bad luck. She didn't think much of it when the news of Kalin's death arrived the day Kaisa and Dag here saved your Greenie face. But now with Pan and the dicing results." She shrugged in defeat. "Can't blame her for not wanting you near her."

"But I have a solution," Alex tried.

"Ilona won't care," Kaisa said. "Go back to The Eel—ask Learta if the Bloody Eels are interested in a pair of Greenie hands on their journey east.

Alex bit her lip. They didn't understand. She was the ward of King Thomas, one of Prince Sebastian's best friends, the only female warrior of the band of Laneby, and a Greenlander Pirate Boyar. She wasn't one to ride the waves and see where she would end up. She went against the current for a better life, for her and others.

"Learta can't do anything for me—I asked," she confessed. "And while you're right that Pan's life is in the hands of the Gods, you can't sit on your behind and wait for the ship to move. I know very little of the Pirate ways, but I do remember Selachii explaining to me that the Boyar is the link between the Gods and the mortal realm. The Gods wanted the Krakens to sail to Burnfirth, aye. But the rest is up to you. You could attack the town and live off the meagre spoils, or... you use the opportunity to explore other waters. What if that is what the Gods intend for the Krakens?"

"You tell us—you're the Boyar," Dag said. She couldn't tell if he was mocking her.

"I'm already telling you." She could no longer control her voice. "Now I need to tell Ilona. I am not bad luck. The Gods sent me to you and made me the Boyar to cast the dice—it's all for a reason. I am the wind that will carry you across the waves," she said to Liene especially.

Liene eyed Kaisa, who eyed Dag, who eyed Liene in return. Dag was the first to announce that nature called, the two women followed promptly after. Liene winked.

Alex went aboard. The easy part was over.

A few Krakens looked at her as she made her way to the Captain's quarters, but none stopped her as she entered.