Chapter 31 - Alex (Part 1)

While a trial by combat was not an unconventional method on the Jade Islands, she had taken a risk to not fight the duel herself. Had this taken place in The Greenlands, half of the crew of the Hallowed Harpoons would close in on her, demanding to pick her, arguing that they stood the most chance to defeat the monster who that had killed their Boyar and Captain. She trod out of the cave, not saying a word. People bowed but didn't volunteer.

She would have to fight herself, so it seemed.

Then, on the beach, a two-belted Jade Daughter approached her, a steel dagger flat in her hands. The white rose in her long black hair had shrunk up and wilted in the span of a few hours.

"I will fight Selachii," she said, her voice strong yet hiding a past full of sorrow. "He disgraced me, conquered my Chastity with his Lust. It wasn't his to take. Let me have my revenge, Boyar."

Before she could give her blessing, Pan jumped in between them, "Greenie, you're a madwoman! But I'll be your mad man, the saviour of Greenies too green for Cove of Elo, and the one who slays Selachii."

Alex hesitated. Kalin had been Pan's father, and though she felt sympathy for Pan wanting to avenge him, the Jade Daughter had asked first.

Pan closed an eye. "Why aren't you saying yes?"

"Because I'll kill Selachii, Bino!" the Jade Daughter jibed.

"What did you call me?" In a flash, Pan snatched his dagger from his belt and pointed it at her."I dare you to repeat that!"

"Bino." She pressed her bosom against the tip of Pan's dagger, a thread of blood trickling down. Then cocked her head, her mouth inches from his. "White demon."

Before Pan could do something he'd later regret, Alex pushed him away from her. The red in his eyes widened; he had not expected that. In his confusion, she managed to grab his sword-arm, twisting his wrist.

"Harm her, and you can forget Selachii." Power coursed through her veins. "I mean it, Pan. I give you what you want but don't hurt her."

Pan spat on the ground. "Who do you think you are?"

"You all just elected me to be the next Pirate Boyar," she said, chuckling.

"That doesn't make you a real Boyar, Greenie. You're no Captain either. I wanted to do you a favour. I don't need your permission to fight the Silver Shark." 

She was rendered speechless as he jerked loose. Flicking his white hair, he slid the dagger back into his belt, then he shoved her aside. When he passed the Jade Daughter, he bumped his shoulder into her collarbone.

"He's not wrong," the Jade daughter said, wincing as she rubbed the painful spot. "Kalin was powerful because he was a respected Captain too. You earned half of your shells because of drunken dimwits without a brain, and you earned the other half because your name isn't Learta or Selachii. You're like a Greenlander Lady. The diamond on their husband's sword—beautiful but useless."

"I take it you haven't met a lot of Greenlander ladies," Alex jested.

"Have you?"

"Yes," her rash tongue said. "They look after the children, teach, arrange the household, and keep up with important gossip. They influence their husbands. Their life wasn't for me, but they are not useless." She let out a soft snort as she remembered the dark-brown spots on Lady Victoria's face. "And not all are beautiful either."

The Jade daughter shrugged. "Then you are worse off than a Greenlander Lady."

"Is that Envy, I hear?" Alex said with a grin.