Nightmare

-Short story
-Mal has a nightmare, Evie is there to help.

Mal sat up in her bed gasping for air, her body cold with sweat.

"M? Mal, are you ok?" A quiet, raspy voice came from the other side of the dorm room.

"Yeah..." Mal's voice was shaking. She listened as Evie got out of her bed and walked over to Mal's.

"Mal, you were crying."

"What? No I wasn't-" Mal touched her face, finding tears. "Oh... I... was."

Evie sat down beside Mal. "I assume you had a nightmare?"

"Yeah. I'm fine now, though..."

"Ok." Evie stood up to go back to her bed, bit Mal reached out, catching her wrist.

"Evie?"

"Hmm?"

"Can you stay with me?"

"Of course, M."

Mal scooted over and laid down, her back facing Evie. She closed her eyes, and felt the other side of her bed dip slightly as Evie laid down next to her. Mal felt Evie's warm body against her back, and Evie wrapped one of her arms around Mal.

"E?"

"Yeah?"

Mal shifted, and turned around. "I dreamt that I lost you." Evie furrowed her brow. "We were back on the Isle, and you left me, but didn't tell me why..." Mal felt fresh tears stinging her eyes and cheeks.

Evie wiped away Mal's tears. "Mal. I'd never leave you." She hugged Mal close. "I promise."

"Evie? Can I tell you something?"

"Anything."

"I love you, E... as more than a friend." Mal got closer to Evie.

"Mal..." Evie whispered, leaning closer.

Mal reached up, placing her hand in Evie's blue hair, and kissed her.

As they parted for air, they pressed their foreheads together, much like they did only a few months ago.

"I've waited so long for that, M. A very long time." She ran her hand through Mal's hair. "I love you too, Mal."