That Window

(Takes place the day after cotillion)

3rd person Pov:

Evie reflected on last night. While dancing on the flooded floors on the ship, she slowly realized just how unhappy she really was. Sure, her business was thriving and she was surrounded by friends, Mal was safe and Auradon seemed to finally accept her; but something was wrong. Evie had a dream last night too. After passing out on her bed in the empty dorm room she shared with Mal- Evie didn't know where the other girl had disappeared off to- she dreamt of Auradon on fire. The school was abandoned minus Evie, but when she looked through the halls, burned human bodies lay scattered around on the floor, still on fire. She found the door to her and Mal's dorm. Evie opened the door to find the bedroom on fire. Suddenly she was standing outside the school, the building smoky and red, flames still filling the halls. "Evie?" a voice called out. Evie turned to her left to find Mal standing in the green grass under the moonlight, the orange light reflecting on her face from the flames of the scorching blaze.

Mal looked at Evie in horror, and took a few steps back as evie tried to approach her. Evie was confused, why would Mal be afraid of her? She felt a weight in her right hand, and looked down to find an empty canister of gasoline... Evie had done this... Evie dropped the canister and stepped away from it. "M, I swear I did not do this!". Mal didn't respond. Evie moved closer, but Mal ran away, into the arms of Ben; who Evie hadn't seen standing near a tree further away. Guards surrounded and grabbed Evie as Ben instructed them to return her to the Isle. Evie screamed and kicked, calling out for Mal, begging her to stop them, and yet Mal did nothing. Evie had woken up by then.

What had the dream meant? Evie thought. She sat up, and looked to her left to find Mal- still in her dress- laying halfway on her bed, softly snoring. Evie wanted to wake her up, but she wasn't quite ready to get up herself. Still, she turned to hang her legs over the bed, and ran her hands through her hair. It was still damp. Evie groaned, and it must've been a bit loud because Mal shifted and fell off the bed. "Ow!" Mal sat up on the floor, rubbing her head. "Morning, E." Mal stretched and sat back on her bed. "You okay?" Evie asked.

"Mm-hm." Mal nodded. "Wow, last night was amazing, right?"

Evie didn't answer- she was zoning out, staring at Mal's hair.

"Uh, E? You good?" She waved a hand.

"Huh? Oh, Yeah." Evie exhaled slowly. "But, um, to answer your question; no, not really..."

Mal cocked her head. "What? But you looked so happy... You were having fun- wait, you're joking, right?" Mal let out a small laugh.

"No, I'm not joking, M."

"Oh... well, what happened?"

"Nothing happened."

Mal blinked. "You don't want to talk about it?"

"I do, it's just..."

Mal got up and strolled over to sit next to Evie, and put a hand on her back. "E, you know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know. I just... wasn't feeling well last night."

"You had a stomach ache?"

"No, I didn't feel sick, per say, I just felt like something was off... like something was... wrong."

"Wrong?"

"Yeah. But I didn't know what- I still don't know what."

"Hm." Mal rubbed Evie's back. "Maybe it was the fight between Uma and I? I know I didn't feel great after that."