He'll never love you like me

Takes place during Descendants 2, on the days before Mal leaves to go the Isle

Evie's POV:
There she is again, Mal. Her hair is different these days. Pale blond instead of that mesmerizing purple. She's always choosing frills and lace instead of leather now. Her smiles seem forced, and her laughs never reach her eyes anymore. She's lost her spark... and I miss it.

Ben is almost always by her side, constantly giving her gifts and compliments. It makes me uncomfortable. Mal rarely has the time to hang out with me anymore. There's always some royal duty or event she needs to attend to. Doug makes it a bit easier. It's nice to have him around when Mal can't be with me. He helps me stay sane with all of my cotillion dress orders. He always prides me on my work, saying 'it's perfect!' or 'amazing work!'... the praise is nice, but I miss Mal pointing out changes I should make and things I could improve on. With Mal, everything is honest. With Doug, everything is sugarcoated. And I'm getting sick from the sweetness.

Ben is the same. I've never once heard him give any critique to Mal, it's all compliments and gifts. Sometimes she almost looks sick of it too. Every day she becomes less and less herself... I want to ask her about it, but we rarely see each other anymore. Even though we share many classes, the second the bell rings, she waves goodbye, and rushes out the door and into Ben's arms. Shouldn't I feel happy for her? The times we do get to talk, she never talks ill of Ben. But I can't shake the feeling that he's not right for her. Oh Mal, I wish I could tell you that he'll never love you like me... but I can't say anything. Soon you'll be a lady of the court, then a princess, and then a queen. I miss when we were close. We'd tell each other everything, comfort each other after bad dreams, and even run off to climb trees. We'd even hold hands, almost as though we were a couple... but we're just friends, right? I miss you, Mal... the real you.

There she is again, Mal. Her hair is different these days. Pale blond instead of that mesmerizing purple. She's always choosing frills and lace instead of leather now. Her smiles seem forced, and her laughs never reach her eyes anymore. She's lost her spark... and I miss it.

----------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed the story, please consider voting and commenting! I really appreciate the support!