Five

Nathaniel knew he was running late. He had missed the bus this morning and was currently dashing through the library, dodging people so he didn't bump into them.

People were watching the boy run in a rush, some chuckling softly to themselves. Nathaniel's heart was beating rapidly, approximately two hundred times per minute, his only chance of being not fired because of the adrenaline that pumped in his veins, boosting him.

He chuckled, out of breath as he slowed down into a jog when he spotted the library. He was exhausted. This was the punishment he had to endure for sleeping in in the morning, hitting the snooze button countless times before he realized that he had work to attend.

He caught his breath as he stepped into the room, running up to Mrs. Lavender and apologizing profusely, his hands on his knees as he hunched over, panting.

"It's okay, dear. Would you mind getting back on the organizing job?" Nathaniel smiled at her sweetly, nodding. "I'll get right on it, ma'am."

He trudged over to the ladder he was now familiar with and began to climb it, having a co-worker help him by giving him the books he needed to place on the shelf.

An entire morning passed by like this, leaving Nathaniel drained of all energy. His co-worker, Gabriel, had to attend to his own share of work, so Nathaniel was going up and down the ladder like a workout, grabbing books and emptying them until he had to repeat the cycle.

Mrs. Lavender was nice enough to bake cookies for the workers, also offering tea to some. Nathaniel took a few, grinning at the generous lady and thanking her for her thoughtful actions.

As he placed the last book for the letter "l," he noticed Lucas entering the store, his heart starting to beat faster. Nathaniel felt himself blush, looking away quickly as he gripped a book tightly, stepping off the ladder.

While stealing glances at the boy sneakily, the two made eye contact. Lucas winked at him with a boyish smile, running his slender fingers through his hair, his movements making Nathaniel's knees buckle in pure anxiety.

Nathaniel shot him a nervous and small smile, waving. He went to ask Mrs. Lavender if she needed any help with anything particular.

When he was walking towards the desk, he felt the aura around him change as the glass door opened behind him. He didn't bother looking behind him to see the new customer that entered the library.

Everybody stopped and stared at the person who entered the store, girls gushing and pointing, some even taking pictures of the person shamelessly.

Some boy's knees buckled, some envied them. The person just ignored them, walking up to the kitten that was too oblivious to realized that a familiar face had entered the store.

Slowly, the unknown person stepped closer to the kitten.