Nine

Dale scrambled to rush out of the restaurant, hurrying to collect his personal items. Sweat had already started trickling down his forehead in anticipation. He ripped his uniform off, his heart banging in his ribcage. He knew that Valentino was supremely capable of acting upon his threat. He could even do much worse, so he ran out of the store like a dog with its tail between its legs, frightened for his life.

Nathaniel stood there, frozen to the core as his jaw dropped, staring at Valentino who put away his gun casually, dusting himself off and fixing his collared shirt. "Need something?" He asked, looking at Nathaniel with a bored expression, crossing his arms across his chest.

"I-I, no, sir," Nathaniel said, still under the impression of Valentino being a good person. Sure he was if you looked past the several crimes he committed with no sympathy, no mercy. "You could've been a bit kinder though," Nathaniel said, scratching a particular spot on his arm that felt itchy.  He was avoiding eye contact, looking at his polished shoes.

"No, Nathaniel. I couldn't have been nor would I have in any other circumstance. He disrespected me." Nathaniel rolled his eyes silently, but Valentino caught the movement. "I dare you to roll your eyes at me again," Valentino said menacingly, a growl erupting from within his muscular chest. The smaller boy began to tremble, shaking his head. "I-I, I didn't mean to, sir, I-" "Roll your eyes, Nathaniel. Now!" He boomed, slamming his hand onto the counter, the loud bang echoing through the room that was filled with thick tension and fright. His action made the poor boy's bottom lip tremble as he rubbed his arm up and down furiously.

Obeying, he rolled his eyes again. He almost shrieked, only flinching when Valentino began squeezing the center of his cheeks, making his lips pucker out much like a few nights earlier. "I'm warning you, kitty. Never, and I mean never, roll your eyes at me. I can certainly assure you that there'll be consequences next time." Nathaniel nodded hysterically, eyes filling with wet tears that he refused to spill.

Valentino gazed into his eyes; heart dropped when he saw the tears that were piling up in Nathaniel's mesmerizing eyes. Valentino gently let go of the boy's cheeks, fighting the strong urge to soothe the red patches that appeared on the spots he was tightly gripping. Nathaniel reached up, looking down with sad, puppy eyes as he rubbed his cheek. "Sorry, sir. I'll get back to work now. If you'll excuse me."

Valentino nodded, seeing his kitten's sad eyes tugging at his heartstrings. He walked out of the kitchen, clearing his throat as he sat down at his table. Meanwhile, Nathaniel looked at his cheeks, a pained expression on his face when he saw the irritated skin. Valentino sure had held them tightly.

He grabbed the final dish for the day, the elegant French Silk Brownies that looked scrumptious. Licking his lips, he placed the plates onto the tray, holding his arm up and walking out to serve Valentino.

The older boy was waiting impatiently, eager to see the boy again. His chin was resting on his palm as he tapped his nails onto the table. Valentino's dull eyes lit up once the waiter came into view. Nathaniel placed the delicious looking dessert in front of the mafia, "Enjoy your meal."

"Sit down, Nathaniel," Valentino ordered, making the small boy sit down next to him. "Yes, sir?" He asked, eyes widening in shock when Valentino handed him a fork. "We're going to share."