Thirty-Six

Nathaniel watched with close movements as Valentino stepped inside the room, the sound of his expensive shoes hitting the floor reaching his ears. Nathaniel made a strong attempt to keep his eyes ahead of him, to not let his voice wavered as he said, "We have nothing to talk about. We established the parts we play in this relationship; boss and employee," he mimicked the same exact way Valentino had said it. He placed his hands on his hips, looking at Valentino in an akimbo position, trying to appear somewhat intimidating and strong.

"Bab-" "DON'T," He jabbed a finger straight into Valentino's chest. "DON'T even go there, mister. I'm not your baby, I was never your baby. Don't come running back to Me after some other boy or girl denied your pleasure. Or where they just not as fun of a plaything as I was?" He asked rhetorically, lacking sympathy for the man who was willing to go as far as to beg on his knees for the boy.

"Nathaniel, please. Let me explain." The smaller boy rolled his welled up eyes, blinking rapidly. "If I let you explain, I'll be trapped in a whirlpool and won't be able to resist. So I'm kindly asking you, sir," he met Valentino's eyes. "Leave." Valentino shook his head, stepping even closer to the broken boy. "You need to know. Remember when you asked me when 'soon' was? 'Soon' is now." He was cursing the boy in the most elysian way possible, putting him under a spell so that he wouldn't be able to deny any request made. Nathaniel wanted to complain, to show that just because his body was physically small didn't mean he was weak.

"Please," he emphasized with attitude, with voice, with pleading. Nathaniel stepped away from him, 'Im listening," he said, crossing his arms over his chest. He looked at the man in front of him only for a second, until all of the hatred inside of him diminished when Valentino because explaining.

"It happened three days ago, Nathaniel," he began with a dreading sigh, burying his face between his hands before he continued. "I was buying you flowers from a local flower shop when I remembered that I had a meeting with Poison Ivy, a rival gang. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the outcome of a former fight we had revolving around the loss of money and fighting without weapons." Nathaniel listened intently, suddenly interested in such a story that seemed like it was too fantastic to be real. Gangs, rivalry, enemies... His thoughts didn't revolve around such things that often.

"During the fight, the goal was to win over the other side without using any weapons. The reward was two million dollars. While we were winning, we saw a fellow rival reach into his pocket and take out a gun. The bastard aimed it at one of my men so I took out a knife and took care of him. They used this against us, calling us cheaters and traitors when it was merely self-defense. They used a weapon first, we had to intention to use any until they broke the rules." Valentino took out his anger, slipping into ataraxia as he panted, sweating with anger. Nathaniel's heart was broken as he listened to his story. Nothing seemed like sunshines and rainbows anymore as he listened further.

"Once I attended the meeting, Draven, the gangleader, demanded to be handed over the money that we allegedly owe them. I refused, confident because they didn't have any dirt on us. Any dirt other than you. When Draven mentioned you, I knew that they would use you as bait, possibly hurt you, Nathaniel."

Nathaniel broke into a cold sweat, rubbing his forehead as he tried to assuage himself. The affinity he had for Valentino was slowly returning, and he soon realized that it had never left. He had buried himself so deep into the pain that he had felt numb, like one making themselves swim in a cold lake until they no longer were.

"So I told them that we broke up and that you no longer meant anything to me. They didn't believe me and told me that I was obviously in love with you. I denied it again, repeating my story. I told them that I had just used you and that we broke up." Nathaniel slowly put the puzzle pieces together.