Last words

Loki's P.O.V

  I get the feeling just because,

Everything I touch isn't dark enough

If this problem lies in me  

Present

"Hail, King! for so thou art. Behold, where stands Th' usurper's cursèd head  is the last line I read before I heard a strange commotion outside my cell. Annoyed and frustrated that I was so close to finishing 'Macbeth' for the 8th time, sighing, I tossed the book on my bedside table and stood up to address the cause of the commotion. Standing as close as I could to the golden forcefield, I stood in disbelief when my eyes made contact with the only friend I'd have ever made, being thrown into the cell opposite to mine. Seeing her in this state of distress brought back memories of the last words I spoke to her.

Flashback

I looked at her as if she was my world when she made her first full body apparition. We were both in our preteens by then and she had been joining me and mother during our lessons since the first visit. She is the closest I had ever been to anyone excluding Mother. Playing together and secret visits in the garden were quite common for us as we stayed in each others company until forced to separate, but even if I spent the whole day with those Y/E/C eyes, I would still miss them the moment she left. So, I promised myself that I would marry her once we grew up.

"LOKI LOOK THERE'S ANOTHER ME" she beamed as Frigga was congratulating her. Y/N didn't have magic within her but we had been able to teach her tricks that didn't require magic to be in you. She had learned apparations and illusions so far and I couldn't have been prouder.

Flashforward

It had happened out of nowhere, Y/N's mother had become sick and passed away a week after her 15th birthday (in Midgardian years). I couldn't stand seeing her like that, she was broken when she told me the news. Tears streamed down her face as she looked at me through glazed eyes. I held her in my arms as she sobbed into my then soaked chest. That night she slept over in my chamber after I had finally eased her into a sleep. I covered her in a blanket and quietly crept my way to the throne room to tell my brother the news.

 Of course, I never liked how close she and Thor had gotten during her training to become a warrior. I would've never told him the news, but as they were both becoming good friends, I knew she would've wanted him to know.

My footsteps came to a halt before turning the corner into the throne room when I heard an argument. "She must not stay! The only reason she was even kept around was her mother was of use to us as a servant" I overheard Odin yell at Thor. "But father" Thor started to argue "the decision has been made, we are to send her to her father on Midgard as soon as we can get in contact with him," Odin says. Thor turns around in defeat and frustration, leaving an angry Odin breathing heavily on the throne. 

"Is it so hard to have someone stay in my life?" I asked myself, still hiding in the corner, "is there something wrong in me?" My debate of self-hatred is cut short once I heard the clanks of metal that can only symbolize guards patrolling the hallways. Rushing back to my room, I turn to mourn over her leave until I see it. It was simply her peaceful face on my linen pillowcase and the way her Y/H/C hair fell when I realized I was completely and utterly in love. 

Making that realization, I made the stupid decision that if I were to ever become king one day, I couldn't be consumed with things as silly as love, I couldn't be consumed with the thought of her. 

Making up my mind, I blinked away the building tears and carried her frail body to her twin-sized bed in the servant chambers. After laying her down on the stained yellow sheets of her bed, I turn to leave and whispered "goodbye" before leaving, not even looking toward her, because I know if I did...I would never have left her side. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////