The Hollows Of Hiraeth: Sky

When I first started writing this book, I knew instantly what I was going to call the main character. Even though the female equivalent of the name is actually Skye, I couldn't change it; it didn't make sense to me.

Sky has become more of a phenomenon than I ever intended her to be. Starting out, she was just young and naive but, through the first book, she progresses massively.

In terms of character development, I'm sure that she is one of the characters that has come the furthest, though that could be simply because she's come right from the start.

Unfortunately, as a young writer at the time, I tried to make Sky Forest as perfect as possible, which just wasn't realistic. I hope that we all had certain moments throughout the book, or even the series, where we've realised that Sky just isn't perfect.

Sky as a character is really all in her name—though maybe Sunshine would be a better fit. She's beautiful in all aspects and she can hold anyone. She's not perfect, of course, and often thinks she's doing good when she isn't—we see this in the first book when she pretends to love Carter to save him the heartache. Perhaps, though, this was an attempt to put his feelings before hers—though we see her regret this in the sequel.

Sky is friendly and charismatic, though not as much as you'd think; she isn't a social butterfly and only talks to her friends at parties, which is contrasted heavily with the nature of her best friend Alexi Abbot. Despite this, she is much more social and interactive than Jameson Fahr, her Guardian and great love in the series, who is also a good friend to all in her friendship group.

Again, Sky Forest was definitely a fault of my immature writing days—she's way too perfect, right? This is seen also in her appearance. Beautiful cascades of blonde hair, ocean blue eyes, and a short but model-like figure. If you don't think she's perfect yet, I'm surprised.

Despite this, Sky is not one to flaunt. She may not think she looks necessarily awful, but she won't dance across the floor telling everyone she looks perfect. Sky isn't one of those people. She'd much rather pick others up, more specifically, her friends, than herself.

Sky Forest was a joy to write the perspective of, though she could be more funny. I feel that at times she reaches, but it's not quite there. But that's important; not every character can have a wicked sense of humour—we'll save that for Cassie and Alexi.

See you next time,
Sunday, 16th of December 2018
For: Jameson

💫🌟✨