Part 2

You see we collided several months earlier. I guess most people would say met, but collided is better because our two separate worlds came smashing together in a flurry of desperation, chaos, and of course snow.

On Christmas day, most people are with their families, but I wasn't not that day. I was at church at the altar after everyone had left. I felt a hand touch my shoulder gently. I quickly spun around surprised.

"Who are you?" I spat a little too harshly.

"I am a pastor here. You seemed liked you need someone to talk to. You were crying. How are you?

My eyes touched her face. It was kind with a slight smile. She was young much too young for the image that I had of a pastor. Her eyes were bright, joyful.

I breathed, "No, I'm not ok. My mother passed away, and she was all I had." My voice cracked as I said it, "I didn't know where to go, but we used to always go to church on Christmas day, so I came here."

"I am so sorry. I can't imagine how hard that must be. Do you have anyone to spend your Christmas day with?"

"No," I whispered, "No one at all."

"Well my family will be having dinner around 4 and you are absolutely welcomed."

"Thanks."

She gave me a hug. I could smell the floral fragrance of her hair. I felt loved. What seems so weird to say because I didn't even know her name. She let me cry on her shoulder for what seemed like hours but were probably minutes. She was exactly what I needed exactly.

"I want to go. Thank you so much for inviting me to your home. So what's your name?"

"My name is Atarah, what's yours"

"My name is Lissa. I feel weird telling you after all of this it seems that we got lost in all the drama of everything we

forgot to do something as simple as introduce ourselves."

I chuckled little to myself about it she did too. There was something about her something incredibly beautiful.

Later that day, I showed up at the address she gave me. The home was not especially big or small. It looked cozy and was beautifully decorated with red and white christmas decor. An older woman with silver gray curls came to the door with a pleasant smile.

"Hey, you're Lissa, right?"

"Hi, Are you Atarah's mother."

"Grandmother,"

"Oh, sorry. Merry Christmas"

"Come in Come in," she said warmly.

I came in and sat in the living room. It was heated by a bustling fire. I felt the warmth against my skin. It was disarming. The rest of her family was in various place in the room. Telling stories and laughing. She was opposite me in the room. She smiled sheepishly at me. I couldn't help but notice that there was something more than just friendliness in her stare. I felt a weird spark, a romantic spark? No, I had only known her for a few hours, and she was a youth pastor. There was no way.

"This is Lissa. I am so glad she is here to spend the evening with us. I guess we could go around and each say our names."

They each introduced themselves. I smiled, working hard to remember each name. They made me feel at home. It almost if they are relatives I had never met.

"Well, the food is ready, so let's say grace and go eat," her grandma announced.

We prayed. Then, the festivities began. The table was overflowing with all types of food. I was excited. There was all sorts of playful banter and jokes. Somehow the subject of homosexuality came up.

"Yeah, Did you hear about the ruling on same-sex marriage?"

"Definitely shows the negative course this country is headed on. God designed marriage between a man and a woman."

"It's obvious that two men or two women simply don't work. It's unnatural," Attarah interjected.

They all agreed. These people were so nice, but they didn't know. They didn't need to know. I just wanted to be accepted not to stir up any drama on this holiday, so I nodded in silent agreement. The rest of the night was smoothly, but I couldn't help having the short conversation play over and over. It's unnatural. I guess that meant I am unnatural, but they didn't need to know that.