Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Kate

For the last day of school, the class had a party and watched movies like the Diary of Ann Frank; Melissa Gilbert played Anne Frank. She was one of Kate's favorite actresses and Kate thought she did a great a job in the movie. The class also watched some history movies. There were drawings for prizes, and Kate won a CD Player. She was so happy because she always wanted a CD player. Kate had made the honor roll with all A's. Some kids couldn't believe she made the honor roll because of her cerebral palsy. Kate went home to tell her Aunt and Uncle and they were proud of her.

Aunt Polly and Uncle Martin took Kate out to eat then took her and Sara to the movies. When they got home, Kate wrote James and told him that she made the honor roll. James wrote back and told her that he was happy for her. He also told her that he was going to Pairs with his cousin John. Kate thought John was a good-looking boy but was shy. Rose was a nice person and a really good friend. Kate had hoped she would see James again, she missed him but was glad he was writing her. Kate never thought a boy like James would ever look at her.

Aunt Polly and Uncle Martin increased Kate's allowance that she saved for upcoming trips. The following weekend, Kate went with the Art Club to Florida. While there, they went to Disney World, but Kate didn't get on any of the rides, she just looked around the gift shops. They spent two weeks in Florida. Three weeks later, Sara and Kate went to summer camp and they had so much fun. They really liked the horseback riding. They were there for a month and when they went home, Sara and Kate went shopping for new clothes.

Kate bought some new shoes for school that would be starting soon. They still had to buy all the school supplies for the 6th grade. Kate couldn't wait to go back to school to see her friends. James wrote and told her that he had fun in Paris and gotten her a locket that she liked a lot. Kate couldn't wait to show it to her friends. James also told her that he was going to China for two weeks before his school started and would write when he could.

Nothing happened in school that day; all Kate did was work on her assignments. The 6th grade was hard, so all Kate did was schoolwork. She couldn't wait to be in high school to be able to do things that she couldn't do in middle school like more field trips and eating out. Kate had a lot of homework to focus on especially math because it was the hardest subject. Sara helped her with their homework, and she was good at math. Kate did well in school. James had told her that it might be a while until he wrote. She wished she had something to think about other than schoolwork, but she understood and had told James that when he wrote to her.

Halloween had come and gone which was fine with Kate because she didn't care much for the holiday. She saw it as nothing happening but kids getting candy. Her favorite holidays were Christmas and Valentine's Day. Kate's class had a Halloween party, and everyone received bags of candy and other things. Aunt Polly and Uncle Martin took Sara and Kate to the movies. Afterward, Sara spent the night and they stayed up watching movies until morning. In the morning, Kate woke up very sick and ended up going to the hospital. Her doctor told her she had a brain tumor. He explained they could remove the tumor, but it was going to be dangerous. Kate was scared. She wrote James and told him what the doctor had told her about the tumor.