Chapter 8

Chapter 8: John

John was extremely disappointed that Kate wouldn't be going to England, but happy that he had the opportunity to spend time with her in Florida before she went home. John met Sara and couldn't believe how rude James was towards her. He was confident Sara would tell Kate how James had acted. Kate asked John how James was doing, and John stated that James was doing good. Kate shared with John her disappointment in not being able to go to England then John explained that he had spent two weeks with Kate while they were in Florida.

Since James and Jill were hanging out so much, James was happy that Kate wouldn't be going to England. "James, how can you be such a jerk, Kate was hurt?" John exclaimed. "I am not happy that Kate was hurt, I was just glad she wasn't coming to England," James stated. "Why don't you break it off with Kate before she gets hurt?" John asked. "I told you before my parents are making me be friends with Kate," James retorted. John wrote to Kate telling her that he (James) was sorry that he hadn't written in a while and Kate wrote back that she understood. He wished he had the courage to tell Kate he was writing her and not James, but he was just to chicken. He also wished James would tell his parents that he just wanted to be friends with Kate and nothing else. John heard that Alex would be going to visit Kate and he was jealous and worried that Kate would fall for Alex.

James was angry when he came home. "What is wrong?" John asked. "My parents want me to break up with Jill; they told me that I shouldn't be dating Jill while I dated Kate," James angrily replied. "I can't believe your parents forced you into dating Kate" John countered as he shook his head. "Do you plan to break up with Jill?" John inquired. "No, I am going to see her behind my parents back," James whispered.

The summer was almost over when John received Kate's gift. John enjoyed receiving the gift. Jack came for a visit and talked about how much he really liked Sara. "Did you write Sara?" John questioned. "Yes, we have also talked on the phone," Jack answered. "You're not telling Sara that I am the one writing Kate instead of James, right? John stated. "You don't have to worry John, your secret is safe with me," Jack assured him. "You have to tell Kate the truth one day because James is dating Jill," Jack pleaded. "I know, but not yet," John agreed. "So, how does Alex feel about you dating his cousin?" John asked. "He hates it, but I don't care," Jack replied.

After Jack left, Rose went to John's room. "Have you heard that Jill's parents are making her go to boarding school?" Rose asked John. "How is James taking the news?" John asked. "Not good and I would stay out of his way," Rose replied. "Don't worry, I will," John assured her.

James was already angry because his parents were forcing him to call Kate and finding out that Jill was going to boarding school added to his bad mood. John had to give James credit for being a good actor knowing he wasn't happy with either situation. John was happy that James wasn't mistreating Kate even though he wasn't happy. John didn't write any letters to Kate because James had been calling her like his parents demanded and John was busy with school work. James wrote to Jill without his parents knowing. John couldn't wait until James finally told his parents the truth.