Come A Little Closer

A/N:{ updates in a day?! Couldn't leave you guys hanging 😊}

I search around for Carmilla for a little while before realizing she's most likely where she's not supposed to be. Climbing the stairs to the roof was a pain this morning with how exhausted I was but my curiosity kept me going. When I reach the roof I see Carmilla sitting and leaning against the covered up industrial AC unit. Her legs were crossed and she had a book in her hand. I go over to her and sit a few inches beside her. I lean my head back against the metal box and close my eyes.

"I take it the stairs kicked your ass?" Carmilla asks beside me with playfulness in her voice.

"Of all places to meet me why here?" I respond knowing I answered her question.

"I figured your sensitive eyes needed more natural light since you haven't slept at all."

I open my eyes and Carmilla shrugs.

"You're being.. kind today." I say with question in my tone.

"And you're too tired to think straight." She responds with a small laugh. She wasn't completely wrong.

"No, I'm pretty sure you're being really nice to me right now." I raise an eyebrow.

"Watch it Hollis." Carmilla tries to hide a smile

"Like soft? Would soft be the right word?" I poke fun at her.

"Laura."

"Carmilla has a soft side." I poke her side and Carmilla looks at me with a shocked open mouth.

"Take it back." She sits up better and I laugh.

"Carmilla's a softie." I say a little louder. "A big softie." Carmilla shakes her head.

"That's it." Carmilla starts poking at me and I can't help but laugh cursing how ticklish I was. "Take it back Hollis." She says with a clear but evil looking smile as she continues poking me. I can't breathe from all the laughing at this point.

"Okay, okay!" I yell and she finally stops allowing me to take a deep breath in and out. The smile on Carmilla's face was different than her usual evil looking one. This one seemed genuine. I was too tired to think too far into it or think too far into anything. All my brain could compute was that I was on a roof, with a girl who seemed really happy today, watching the sun rise behind dark clouds with every minute that passed. I lean my head against Carmilla's shoulder and feel her tense up before relaxing.

"I'm so tired." I say barely being able to keep my eyes open anymore. I close them trying not to drift off completely.

"I know." I hear Carmilla sigh out. "You sure you can drive like this?" I swear I can hear concern in her voice.

"I don't.. I mean.. maybe.." mumbles are all I can get out before everything goes black.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Carmilla's POV:

"Laura?" I say softly after hearing the girl mumble. The girl leaning against me had fallen asleep and I couldn't help the smile on my face. Am I really going soft, I think to myself and shake my head without moving the girl. This position couldn't be comfortable so I lay my legs flat out and I gently place my arm around her shoulder. For a second the sleeping blonde nuzzles herself into me. I place my hand on her shoulder and use the other to pull her a little off me and lower her head into my lap. I managed to help her fully lay down now with her head in my lap. She was completely knocked out and I couldn't help but run my hand gently through her hair playing with it. Her tired face was now at ease and it was so gentle.

I couldn't explain why I found myself being so kind to her but she didn't give me a reason not to be to begin with. Allowing people to get close to me was never an option in a place where everyone saw me as nothing but a threat until Laura came around and looked at me like a regular patient. Human, dare I say. She had no reason to trust me and had she read my file she probably never would have gotten the chance to. Maybe I felt vulnerable to the girl because she's the first one since I've been here to actually want to know me for me and not my mental health or past. The thought of someone actually wanting to hear my story without the clear intent of trying to cure me was the reason I smiled at her. There is so much she doesn't know and in time I could see myself telling her, but for now I let her mind wonder and her ignorance keep her around.

I stop playing with her hair when I feel her turn over in my lap. I decided to let her sleep here as long as the sun would allow it and grab my book from beside me. Placing the bookmark beside me I continue reading to the sound of the tired girls gentle breathing.

I was at peace.