You Deserve Some Color

I was given the next two days off and I was kind of happy about it. Last I was at work I woke up on the roof in Carmilla's lap. The girl was sleeping so I took the opportunity to slip away and head home without questions. Facing Carmilla today would hopefully not be as eventful as my mind was thinking it would be. Would she mention me sleeping in her lap? What about the tickling I very faintly remember?

When I arrive at work Perry greets me with a coffee and a small smile.

"Welcome back hun, hope you're well rested."

"Night shift wasn't all that bad." I laugh and take the coffee from her. She's known me long enough to know exactly how I took it.

"What's on the agenda today?" Perry asks before flipping through her own clipboard.

"I'm not sure." I sigh. "I guess the usual. Watching over Carmilla."

"How is that going anyways? Laf mentioned she's been sneaking off often these past few days." Perry puts the back of her pen up to her lips before checking off some things on her papers.

"Things are... fine." I think to myself trying to figure out if I've actually made any progress with her. "Any idea why she's been disappearing?" I ask taking another sip of my coffee before grabbing Carmilla's charts for the day.

Perry responds with a shrug and finally takes her eyes off the papers to look at the clock.

"I should get going, I've got some meds to pass out, but I hope you have a good day Laura!" She begins to walk off turning to wave.

"See you later Perry." I smile back at her before she disappears. Carmilla's chart listed the usual medications so I went along to get them. Taking one last sip of my coffee I throw it away and head towards the activity room.

I bump into a few other patients who insisted I checked their little cuts and bruises before reaching the activity room. It was crowded with today's scheduled activities, which included a yoga class and puzzle time. I scan the room looking for the raven haired girl only to find she wasn't there.

"If you're looking for Carmilla she's been avoiding this place." A patient from a table a few feet away says. I turn to her in confusion. The patient smiles not looking up from her puzzle.

"Would you happen to know where she is? She's got some meds she needs to take."

"Oh I'm sure she'll be around shortly." The girl sorts out her puzzle pieces by color, touching the piece 3 times before picking it up. I assume the girl has OCD but don't like to make assumptions without seeing a patient's chart. "Would you care to sit?" She kicks out a chair in front of her still not averting her eyes from the puzzle.

"That's okay. I should really go find her. Thank you though."

"So you're her keeper?" Laura pauses before walking out when the patient says this.

"I'm her nurse, yes."

"Always knew she'd end up a 'special' case." The girl chuckles and Laura raises an eyebrow. "Forgive me, I really should introduce myself. I'm Mattie, a," she pauses before continuing, "a friend of Carmilla's."

"Funny, she never mentioned having friends in here." I cross my arms across my chest listening carefully to what the girl has to say.

"We both know she's not one to open up to people, isn't that why you're taking over her case?" Mattie touches her next piece 3 time, picks it up, and places it in it's correct spot.

"I was assigned to her because I was deemed fit to handle her case. I'm not here to make her talk, but to help her get better."

"If it helps, you're doing a great job." Mattie places a fingertip to her lips in thought.