Jamie Benn: Forever Part 1

You sat there in the doctors office, you could hear the words your doctor but you couldn't make them out. Your whole body had gone numb. As he finished you blinked away your tears as you lightly smiled and made a follow up appointment before thanking him and walking out the door.

It was back. You couldn't believe it came back. The disease you thought you had beat as a child was back and stronger than ever. There was nothing the doctors could do. You were dying. The tears that you couldn't stop, as you sat in your car, weren't for you. You had made your peace with dying the first time you were diagnosed. They were for Jamie, your boyfriend of two years.

You told him you were sick when you were younger, but you had never gone into detail. You thought that time in your life was over. How were you going to tell him you were dying? You couldn't put him through all of that. You made the decision that it would be easier to break up with him than to tell him. This way he could move on, get married and have kids. He could be happy, and truthfully, that was all you really wanted.

Today was an off day and Jamie, ironically, had scheduled a visit to the Children's Hospital in Dallas to cheer up some of the kids. You had two hours until he got home, enough time to pack up a bag of your things.

"(Y/N)! Hey, I'm home!" Jamie called from the doorway.

"I'm in here." You said, focusing on the book you were reading, trying not to cry. He walked over to you and placed a kiss on your forehead.

"How was your doctor's appointment."

"Fine." You sighed, unable to look up at him.

"Are you okay?" He put a hand on your back, gently rubbing it. He was concerned, you weren't usually like this.

"I cannot do this anymore, Jamie."

"Do what?" He asked confused.

"Us. We need to break up."

"What, why. What's wrong." He said moving closer to you. You swatted his hands away. "Please don't make this harder than it already is." You whispered.

"Why does it have to be hard. I don't understand."

"I'm sorry." You sobbed, shaking your head. "It has to be like this. I have to go." You said, getting up off the couch and grabbing your bag, you had stashed behind an end table.

"(Y/N), wait!" He called, running to catch you.

"I'm sorry, Jamie." You kissed his cheek before walking out the door.

It had been two weeks since you broke up with Jamie, and you were still devastated, which didn't help with your declining health.

"Hey (Y/N), I'm going to the grocery store, do you want anything?" You sister, Emma, asked as she sat down next to you on the bed. She had offered for you to move in with her, after you had told her what happened. Which was nice because she lived ten minutes form the hospital where all of your doctors appointments and treatments were at.

"No." You said in between sobs and sniffles.

"Hun, you should call him."

"I can't." You cried. She pulled you into a big hug and whispered soothing things into your ear to calm you down.

To say Jamie was heartbroken was an understatement. He didn't understand why you had broken up with him. He racked his brain every day trying to figure it out. He needed to get out of the house, and since he was low on groceries he decided to go to the store.

Getting in the car, he exhaled. He felt like he was always on the verge of tears. The guys had tried to get him to go out and do something with them, but he couldn't. Going to the grocery store was hard enough.

After pulling into a parking spot, he sat in his car for a minute, before walking into the store.

He was standing in the produce section, when he heard it.

"Jamie?" As soon as Emma said his name, he turned swiftly, almost dropping the red bell pepper in his hands. Emma walked towards him.

"Hey, Emma." He said, despondent.

"I'm sure I'm not the person you wanted to see, but I just wanted to see how you were doing." She said. Jamie just shrugged.

"How is she?" He asked as his head rose quickly to look at Emma.

"I mean she's not doing great, but she's still taking her meds and going to all of her treatments and everything so thats good."

"What are you talking about? What treatments?" Jamie said was puzzled expression.

"She didn't tell you?" Emma said, shocked.

"Tell me what?" He asked.

"Jamie, you need to go see her." She said before walking away.

You were awoken by a banging at the door. You glanced at the clock, it was past ten, so Emma was at work, meaning you had to get up out of bed to go get the door.

While you only opened the door, it felt like you were hit like a ton of bricks. Jamie was standing in your doorway. All he could say was 'Hi.'

"What are you doing here, Jamie?" You asked him, stunned at the sight before you.

"We need to talk." You nodded, and motioned for him to come in.

"I need to know why you broke up with me. You owe me that. What you did to me was so unfair. I have been a wreck for weeks. You won't return my calls. I have been worried about you, and I don't even know why. No I do know why. I love you and you love me, so why?" He said. You sat there looking at him.

"Come sit down." You motioned for him to sit next to you on the couch, and he followed.

"You're completely right, its not fair." You said. "But I had a reason." Jamie's eyes widened waiting for you're response.

"Jamie, I'm dying."