No More Waiting

[28 April 2039 Noon
Gavin: Tense]

Four months and eleven days had passed without nothing, particularly different happening.

Detective Reed and Richard didn't really talk that much during the time.

Their conversations were mostly just exchanging information, Richard telling detective Reed to watch out and detective Reed finding new 'nicknames' also known as every insult in the book.

Richard had tried to small talk with him but there wasn't really any success, until today.

"Officer Chen? Have you see detective Reed today?" Richard asked her. It was getting late and he still hasn't shown up.

"I'm sorry Rich. He left early yesterday from my house, but didn't say where he was going,"

Most of the people have resorted to calling Richard 'Rich' except Connor, Captain Fowler and detective Reed. They have resorted to calling him Nines, Richard and Dick(well, mostly).

"It's fine. I'll just go out and look for him,"

"Tell me when you find him, okay? I'm worried for him, he hasn't been the happiest lately," Officer Chen said disappointed.

Richard didn't know how to respond to that. He knew that he needed to in some way comfort her but human emotions are complicated.

If his system was still in detective mode he could have analyzed her and found a sentence that could comfort her, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. The last months this has been the problem.

Connor advised him to try to become deviant as that would make it easier to sympathise with people. He couldn't agree.

After checking all of detective Reed's normal hangouts and not finding him anywhere Richard decided to search for his home.

Some police androids were roaming the streets nearby so Richard decided to ask one of them for help.

The closest one was one older looking male android. At first, Richard confused him for an elderly man and wasn't really paying attention to him, but then he saw the LED on the side of his head and returned his attention towards him.

"Excuse me, sir?" Richard asked, lightly tapping on his shoulder. "I seem to have gotten lost. Can you help me?"

"Of course, where do you need directions too?"

"Gavin Reed's home. I don't remember where it is from here,"

"Okay, one second. He's the detective from our police department, right? How do you know him?"

"I'm...I'm his boyfriend, sir," Richard lied.

"Right, I thought I'd seen you before. That explains why he's always out,"

Making small talk with strangers was the worst about deviants. One of the few things that he and detective Reed agree on.

"Two blocks down and one to the right. Good luck,"

"Thank you,"

Richard left the man and walked to detective Reed's place. The man seemed to believe his story, now he just had to make sure they never meet each other.

Detective Reed lived in a six-story building. Richard had expected that he wasn't going to a 1900's villa, but this wasn't quite so bad.

Richard buzzed the fourth, right-sided buzzer, that was labelled 'Gavin Reed'. It took five whole minutes before some static noise came from the speaker. Old technology is quite annoying.