Prologue - An Unusual Offer

The story you are about to read is a work by a fan for fans. The purpose of this work is merely to entertain, not for monetary gain. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the Legend of Zelda series are all the copyrighted property of Nintendo Co., Ltd. Please support the official release.

Warning: The following story has spoilers for the Breath of the Wild and the Champion's Ballad DLC pack.

   ▲
▲ ▲

"Begin!"

The sword flung at your face, but you deftly deflected the blow. The song of clashing steel filled the air. The sun beat down on you and dust flew everywhere, yet you were calm, searching for the smallest flaw. Your claymore swiftly knocked the shield aside. With a shove, your opponent was on the ground.

The crowd of soldiers at the Training Camp let out a roar of cheers. You removed your helm and brushed back your sweaty hair with your hand. "All in a day's work. You had me on the ropes there for a bit," you laughed, helping the recruit up. "While I appreciate your energy, charging in recklessly is a quick way to get yourself killed. Don't be afraid to read the situation first."

"Yes, Colonel! Thank you!" The recruit flushed.

You gave him a warm smile. "Go practice a bit with the others. I'd be happy to have a rematch when I get back." You then turned to the rest. You were significantly younger than most, though your technique and rank commanded their respect. "I think that's all for today. You've all performed admirably, the best Hyrule has to offer. If you'll excuse me, my sister is waiting for me. Company dismissed!" As you turned to leave, you caught a familiar face in the corner of your eye. "Apparently, I am later than I thought. She sent you, didn't she?"

A low murmur rose from the crowd upon seeing the newcomer. The crowd parted in respect. The swordsman was dressed in his new Champion's tunic, the legendary Master Sword strapped to his back. He stepped forward.

"Sorry, lost track of time," you offered.

He shrugged and didn't say a thing. The swordsman's impish grin, however, sent a clear message.

"Fine then," you said, drawing the training claymore once more. "Same rules per usual, let's begin."

You instantly blocked, knowing he preferred a quick attack. The force sent you back a bit, but you kept your balance. You swung, driving him back. You expertly parried his blows. You wound up for the final flurry rush...

...and found yourself on the ground. A cheer rose from the crowd. "As expected, from the kingdom's best swordsman." You smiled weakly. "All right, let me change. We'll go."

You hurried over to your tent, your pride slightly bruised. It wasn't the first time Link had beaten you, and it probably wouldn't be the last. However, you were getting better, and no one at the camp could defeat you. You removed your training armor and changed clothes.

"Your majesty!" A call came from outside.

You poked your head out. "Recruit, please. Outside of the castle, my military rank is more than enough."

The newbie turned redder than a Death Mountain ruby. "Yes Colonel, o-of course. Your horse is ready sir."

"Thank you," you said, stepping out and straightening your uniform.

"A Royal Guard's uniform sir?"

"Makes it easier to travel without appearing as an easy target for the Yiga Clan. Good work today. Hope to test you as soon as I return." You strapped a Royal Greatsword to your back and hopped onto your horse, named [H/n].