Chapter 7 - A Fresh Start

"Welcome, warriors! I'd like to thank you for joining me here today, and for your bravery in accepting this... fateful task." Your father's voice boomed, echoing throughout the Sanctum. You stood at attention by his side with the rest of the Royal Guard. "I officially appoint you Hyrule's Champions and bestow upon you this sacred garb. That blue is a symbol of the Royal Family, one that has been passed down for countless generations. Those garments you now wear were all crafted by my daughter, Zelda."

Looking down at the five Champions and your sister, you were more than a little jealous. After all, you were a strong fighter as well, so why couldn't you be a Champion? At the very least, Father assigned you to protect your sister on her outings, but it wasn't the same.

"Zelda. I trust you with the task only a daughter of the Royal Family can fulfill."

You hated the special influence he put on the word "daughter", no matter how right he was. The title of Prince always held such little meaning in Hyrule; perhaps due to the one who placed his sister in an endless sleep only to be saved by one of Master Sword's previous wielders. Still, it wasn't fair.

"Lead our Champions, Princess. And together, protect our kingdom from the threat of Calamity Ganon!"

The military saluted as fireworks exploded above the Castle. You sighed as everyone relaxed and began to mingle. The Champions headed outside to the gazebo near one of the streams. As you walked out your mind reflected on Link's knighting ceremony earlier that day.

The ceremony was awkward, to say the least. Your sister seemed to refuse to speak above a monotone as she spoke the oaths. You had stood next to her, watching the other champions look on with the same discomfort. You could hear them murmuring; Daruk worrying about the ceremony, Revali complaining about the choice to knight Link, Urbosa commenting on your sister's stiffness. What could you say? Urbosa was probably right. Your father's constant pressure on Zelda was not going to make her powers awaken any faster. Then, of course, you had to recommend someone who held similar gifts and had awakened almost immediately. You were basically ready to chalk it up to today being one of those days.

You were distracted by several guards and soldiers asking for your opinion on new training on your way out. By the time you made it, Purah had just finished snapping a photo of the Champions. Looking at the smiles on their faces, you could only hope that your recommendation didn't end up driving your sister and Link away from you – or worse, bring the two of them together.

   ▲
▲ ▲

Upon returning with Link, you didn't sleep much. You sat on the edge of Tarrey Town's cliffs, softly playing the Royal Family's song on your ocarina. Everything seemed strange. How did you activate your Triforce? What did you do? Not that you were complaining, of course. You sighed and began to play a song you learned from the sailors of the Great Sea when you felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Can I join you?"

You smiled. "Of course, Link, though I think you should be resting."

He made a noncommittal grunt and dangled his legs over the edge, sitting a bit closer to you than you expected. For a moment or two, the two of you sat there, staring out at the Guardian Stalkers roaming the Torin Wetlands. "I don't think they're a threat," you said to break the silence. "They seem to mind their own business." If you didn't know how dangerous they were firsthand, you'd probably say they looked almost peaceful.