Chapter 10 - The Master Sword

"Good mooooooorning!"

You nearly leapt out of your skin, though you did fall out of the bed. You snapped up. "Please don't scare me like that!"

The little forest spirit trembled. "I'm sorry, Mr. Prince, sir."

You couldn't stay mad at the adorable Korok. "Just... next time, please don't yell." You got up and stretched, feeling the strange satisfaction of your back popping. You stepped into the corner of the room and stroked the side of the wall. With a little rumble, the wood parted, sending fresh cool water running down your body. Any excess was instantly soaked up by the floor of roots. You used a mixture of sugar and wildberries to make a scrub that you lathered on with a moss sponge. You sighed, feeling more clean and relaxed than you had in the past week.

Getting to the Lost Woods was easier said than done. Originally, you and Link took the main road, but a series of encampments and Guardians drove you farther and farther off the path until you ended up having to go up and around Hyrule Castle via Tabantha (which didn't sit so well with you). What followed was a week of straight rain and mud until you finally made your way to the sanctuary of the Master Sword. Finally, it felt like you had the last of the sand of the Gerudo Desert and the mud of every other province washed off.

"So, where is Link?" You asked the Korok, while you dried off with some leaves. "Did he go looking for more of Hetsu's seeds?"

"Nope!" The Korok chirped, handing you a freshly roasted fish for breakfast. "Mr. Hero just finished the last trial and is ready to try and pull the Master Sword from its pedestal!"

"Why didn't you say so?" You hastily scarfed down the fish and tossed on your tunic. "Morning everyone!" You shouted to the other spirits that lived within the Great Deku Tree. The cracked stone shrine to the sword of evil's bane stood before you. Link stepped up to the pedestal, giving you a smile and a tiny wave. He then took a deep breath. He crouched down, grasping tightly. At first, nothing happened. You could see the beads of sweat on Link's forehead as he struggled to pull the sword. With a scraping sound, suddenly the sword began to come free, inch by inch. As he lifted the sword, a great blue light spilled forth from the pedestal, and Link disappeared.

"Wait, where'd Link go?!"

The Great Deku Tree hummed above you. "Please don't fret. Link has been transported into another realm for the Trial of the Sword. He has passed before. In fact, he passed with flying colors. He'll be back soon."

"Oh... okay."

"Oh, and Prince [Y/n]," the Great Deku Tree added. "I have a gift for you." With a snap, some roots shifted and revealed a chest.

You opened it. Inside was a beautiful greatsword, white as moonlight. It was intricately carved with the symbols of the ancient sages and glowed with energy. "That is the Sword of the Six Sages, a relic of the Twilight Era. That very sword was once wielded by the ancient sages, but also by Calamity Ganon's former incarnation known as Ganondorf. That man, might I add, was your predecessor as champion of the Goddess Din."

You held the sword in your hands, a thrum of energy passed through you sending shivers down your spine. "Thank you, but..."

"Why?" The Great Deku Tree offered. "It may not seal the darkness like the Master Sword, but it can certainly harm it. The sword is imbued with the blood of Ganon; even it and its minions cannot block its strike. However, a word of caution: the sword is imbued with the energy of light and darkness making it capable of bringing great good or great evil to Hyrule. I trust you will make the right decision."