Chapter 1- The truck

Texas,USA

Inventors Cade Yeager and Maleah Witwicky pull into a parking spot across the street from an old theatre. As Cade turned off the truck, their partner Lucas Flannery pulled up across the road, singing. Maleah rolled her eyes as she and Cade shared a pointed look.

"Look who decided to show up for work." Maleah said as the both of them got out of the truck and grabbed for their tools.

Cade grabbed his toolbox and Maleah grabbed her toolbelt. Cade had bought it for her at Christmas,and it was her favorite one out of all the others she had. Tessa had put different designs of what Maleah was interested in on the belt, including stars and wolves among other things.

"I'm a heart breaker. Gonna make you cry." Lucas sang as he got out of the car.

Maleah rolled her eyes as she and Cade started to walk to the end of the side walk.

"What,surf report no good at South Padre?(Been here recently) Cade asked.

"The waves are flat and I got no gas. You know that Cade."

Lucas was cut off as a truck drove by in front of him as he walked.

"Dude, rude."

Lucas continued to walk toward them. Then he disgusted Maleah by looking wrongly at two women half his age.

"Look at these two June bugs. Wooh!" He said as they met on the side walk.

"My ,my! Hey, you two are paying me for this, right? Maleah, please tell me I'm getting payed for this."

Maleah grinned.

"You know, Lucas, a lot of guys are just happy to have a job at all."

Lucas frowned.

"Yeah, I suppose."

Maleah nodded and glanced at Cade, who gave her a barely noticeable smile.

"You got any cash on you?" Cade asked Lucas.

"Yeah." Lucas replied.

"Good." Maleah stated as she started towards an old run down theatre, the men following behind her.

As they neared the theatre, Maleah walked up to the man Cade talked to on the phone, the landlords grandson. They all shake hands and enter the theatre.

"Place has been in the family since '28. Granddaddy ran it all his life. Ain't that right Granddaddy? Real soon he's gonna sign it over to me ." the grandson said.

The landlord is standing in front of some movie posters.

"The movies nowadays," he said." That's the trouble. Sequels and remakes, bunch of crap."

He points at an old movie poster of "El Dorado"

"I love that one."

The grandson turned to Maleah.

"He's deaf and senile."

"Heard that." The landlord said.

Maleah raised an eyebrow and looked back at the grandson.

"You were saying?" She stated, chuckling.

The landlord and his grandson then led them to a large room with piles of stuff in it. The grandson pointed at a set of old projecters as Maleah moved farther into the room.

"Now these just need some spit and polish. I believe they're digital, possibly IMAX."

"Wrong!" Maleah yelled from behind a large stack of movie tapes.

"Yeah, they're not." Cade agreed. "Mister, we'll have a look around I'd you want to leave us to it."

"You know," the landlord said. "Folks used to come from miles around to see the dancing girls with the big cha-chas."

The grandson turned to Cade.

"I swear I am one diaper change away from poisoning his oatmeal."

There was a tiny 'bang' when a thin metal plate hit the back of the grandson's head. He cursed. Everyone turned to see Maleah with her hands in the air.

"I swear it was an accident. I didn't think it would actually work as a frisbee."

Cade could see her trying to hold back a laugh, and containing his own laughter, he turned to the landlord.

"Hey, you hang in there buddy. If coming here makes you feel young, then you tell this kid to bring you here everyday."

Makes walked up to the grandson and held up a camera lens.

"Seven bucks," she said. "Or Cade keeps talking."

"Sold."

The landlord and his grandson finally left the three of them alone to look around the theatre.

"Remember this place when we were kids? How many girls you think you brought here in high school? What about you, Maleah, stir up any of those forgotten memories of your past?" Lucas asked the girl, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Maleah grinned, because in fact, it had.

"Actually, yea, I have. Can't remember his name,but I did do the dirty no-no with the football captain in a movie theatre bathroom once."

"Oooh, you naughty little girl. What about you Cade?"

"I only remember one," Cade said, and Maleah smiled, knowing he was talking about his wife, Tessa's mother.

Maleah saw a football on the ground and picked it up. She turned towards Cade.

"Cade,  catch."

He caught it before it hit him dead center in the chest. As many times as he's seen it before, Maleah's strength always surprised him. She could bench press more than him, and after he saw her take down a man twice her size who tried to hit on her, Cade swore to never get on her bad side.

Cade smiled and turned towards Lucas.

"Hey, heads."

He threw the football at Lucas, and it hit him hard on the head. He cried out in pain and grabbed his forehead. Maleah giggled and Cade's smile slightly brightened. He loved it when she giggled.

"That's why you didn't make the varsity team." Cade stated.

"Or any team, for that matter." Maleah said, still giggling.

"All right. Go long." Lucas picks up the football and attempts to throw it.

Failure, is what it looked like. The football ended up hitting one of the theatre chairs, bouncing off of it and breaking something.

Maleah giggled again as she moved away from the stage. She notices an old semi truck and walks towards it, taking in its rough condition. She opened the drivers side door, causing some big empty iron shells to drop to the ground. Maleah picked one up and looked it over, the name suddenly appearing in her head.

"Mortar shells? That's army shit. What the hell happened to you?"

Maleah shut the door and walked back towards the stage, where Cade and Lucas were looking at other things.

"Hey Snake-Ass!," she yelled at the landlords grandson, drawing the attention of the other two men behind her.

"How much for the truck?"

The man looked confused as hell.

"Truck?"