18

Zach Dempsey

I drive up to Jade's house knocking on the door.

"Good morning?" She asks when she opens it.

"Have you heard from Alex?"

"No... why?" I show her the text messages. "Wh—Then what the hell are you talking to me for? Come on!" She grabs her bag and the two of us rush to Alex's.

Zach, Mrs. Standall and I burst into Alex's room.

"Oh. Hey guys."

"'Hey guys'? Did you not just hear us banging on the door?" I ask.

"I must have fallen asleep."

"Alexander Dean Standall." Mrs. Standall says. She grabs his bag of Sour Patch Kids. "Do you have any idea what damage this does to your health?"

"The only damage it does is to the roof of your mouth."

"Ain't that the truth." Jade whispers.

"We're back to a healthy breakfast now. Zach, Jade you both are welcome to join." She leaves the room. Jade pokes her head back to make sure his mom is far away.

"I'll buy you another bag." She says.

"What's the big emergency?" Alex asks.

"This is what I woke up to this morning: 12:12 am, someone gave me a bullet. 12:13 am, someone gave me a gun. 12:37, I figured it all out. You can't text someone shit like this and then fall asleep."

"I couldn't explain because my thumbs got tired

"I couldn't explain because my thumbs got tired." Jade snickers.

"The last time you didn't respond you—"

"I know." Zach sighs and sits in the chair and I sit on the bed.

"So what's going on?" Zach asks.

"I know who's messing with us. But I don't know where he is."

~

I see Chloë walking towards me and I just roll my eyes and turn my back.

"Jade please."

"You're a liar Chloë. You fucking lied on that stand. Can't you see he has power over you?"