21

Zach Dempsey
May

I watch Chloe run out of the gym after Jessica's campaign speech which of course had to mention how much of a monster Bryce is.

"I'm uh going to the bathroom. I'll be right back." I tell Jade, who's sitting next to me.

"Alright." She nods. I slide past the other people in the row and go out the door. I see Chloe sitting on the floor against the lockers.

"Are you okay?" I ask, crouching down next to her.

"No." She answers.

"No one knew what Jessica was gonna say. I mean--"

"I'm pregnant." She says, cutting me off.

"Oh shit. Are you okay Chloe?" I sit down on the floor.

"I don't know. I don't know what to do."

"Does Bryce know?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"No and I'm not gonna tell him

"No and I'm not gonna tell him. Jess knows. And Jade, she knows too but they lost patience over me over Bryce." My eyebrows furrow.

"Wait. Jade knows?"

"Don't be mad at her. She hates me. She has no reason to tell you."

"What are you gonna do?" She sighs.

"I have no idea." The door opens and students start to come out and the two of us stand. I go to say something to her, but she disappears in the crowd. I see Jade and pull her aside.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Did you know about Chloe?"

"What about Chloe?"

"You know what. About the baby." He whispers.

"How do you know about that?" Her eyes narrow. "You were just talking to her weren't you? I thought you were going to the bathroom."

"You're avoiding the question."

"I'm not avoiding shit. Yes, I know she's pregnant. She told me and Jess the night of the Spring Fling while we were in the bathroom."

"And you didn't think to tell me?"

"Why the fuck would I tell you? What does it matter to you? Is it yours?"

"No!"

"Then it shouldn't matter. Look, what Chloe does is her business. It has nothing to do with us. She made her choice."

"But--"

"No buts. Leave it and her alone."