3▸3

When the beautiful young lady laid her trust in Enjolras hands, he could feel himself smile. It wasn't large, nor was it too noticeable. It was a small curl of his lips, her body temperature radiating through the bandages and warming his skin. He could feel his thoughts rushing in his mind, the brown haired beauty doing something to him he never experienced before that day. His heartbeat wasn't going faster because of the adrenaline, it was because of her, standing so close to him.

Enjolras held her hand softly, his eyes scanning the white bandages covered in blood. The stains burned in his memories, never going to forget how hurt she was. He wanted to know why she had those, who hurt her and if she ever told someone her story. He wanted to protect her against future dangers, but he understood that he was just a someone to her.

The grip around her was very gentle, not trying to hurt the wound she hid underneath the fabric. He looked up and stared in her eyes, the smile still decorating his face. He assured her that she could trust him, a stranger she only knew his name of. He showed trust, with his face expressions and the sparkle in his eyes.

They ran together, not looking back at the police behind them. The sound of horses and men ringing in their ears, but both ignored it and tried their best to get far away from them.

The moment they entered the smaller streets, they slowed their pace and walked to a place Rose had never been before. She gazed up, her mouth slightly open and her eyes shining. It looked precious to her, the houses that looked like homes rather than something to show of how rich the person was. People sitting on the stairs, holding their families close to them.

They were sad people, but in a way they were so beautiful to Rose. She could feel the love the parents for their families, that love being unknown in her life. These people saw their family as their biggest treasure and Rose missed that feeling in her past. The absence of love making her the nice lady she is, wanting to love others in a way she needed in her own life.

Enjolras stopped moving after a long walk, he had brought himself and the woman next to him in safety. He hindered her from going further, his hands on her shoulders and looked right in her golden eyes. Her chin raised in the air, since she was much shorter than him. She smiled at him, thanking him for the help, even though he had no reason to.

"I ran into you."

"Others would have ran away, I would have been an obstacle on the road," Rose said.

"Well, I am not like others."

"That is very true, they don't try to start a revolution with only their friends to help."

"Not only my friends, the people we fight for also fight for us," Enjolras told her, his head slightly tilted to one side.

"Can you really be sure of that? Yes, they love to say that now, but the fear they'll have will do weird things to them."

"I believe in the people."

"And I believe that you'll bring the bright future closer to them."

Enjolras heard thankfulness in her voice, as if she herself needed them to stand up for the right and for equality in France. He wanted to say something about her also helping the poor people out there but the bruises on the cheek of the woman in front of him caught Enjolras' attention. The blue mark covering her cheekbone and up to her eyebrow. He knew where it came from, he saw it happening. He saw how the older man screamed in her face, how he grabbed her and how he hurt her, not caring about the consequences. He knew she was scared that day, but he didn't dare to help her.

Rose noticed him staring at her and turned her head away, not wanting him to see it. She couldn't tell a person she just met, she couldn't face the pains in her life. An explanation would bring back too many memories, it would hurt her on the inside more than it has hurt her on the outside.

"You don't have to hide it," Enjolras said softly, his thumb pushing her face in his direction, slowly brushing the blue mark. He was in a trance, having no idea what he was doing, having no control over his actions. He fingers just moved, even without his permission.

"I saw it happening."

"I know you did, Enjolras."

Rose took his hand and stopped the man from touching her face. She stopped him from looking at her, not wanting him to remember her with marks. She wanted him to know her as someone else than she was at the moment. She wasn't the broken person she appeared to be, the bruises gave her a vulnerable look but she wasn't that. She could be very wise and kind, knowing the world and how it worked. No matter where she grew up, she saw the wrongs and rights, she wanted to help the good from the bad, even if the bad was she was close to in her early life years.

"You never told me your name." Enjolras stated, changing the subject and lightening the mood.

"Rose, Rose Bruneau"

"That is very fitting," he said while looking at the red flowers in her basket, the beautiful roses destroyed from the feet of the people.

"I have to deliver these, my boss would not enjoy the fact that I am late," Rose muttered, feeling her heartbeat rise from the sight of the flowers. She knew they weren't what he asked anymore, that they were trampled and destroyed, but she had no other choice than selling them to Monsieur Dubois, she had no other choice than risking another anger outtake from her own boss.

"I'll bring you back, the police must be gone already."

"I am going to survive fine on my own, you don't have come with me," Rose smiled at him and gave him one of the flowers, showing how thankful she was for his help.

"I know my way in this town, I'll find it, no problems," she added.

Enjolras raised his hands in the air, showing that she can go her own way if she wants to. He showed that he respected her choice.

"You'll have to promise me on thing! You need to promise that I'll see you again, that you and your friends will be protesting in that street. I liked meeting you, Enjolras and I don't want this to be the last time we've talked!"

Enjolras agreed, not wanting anything else. Doing the thing he cares about while being able to see this beautiful woman again, it would be a dream for him that came true. He couldn't even imagine not talking to her again, not hearing her say his name in such a soft way. He loved how she talked, how she was so wise about everything, yet so many things were unknown to her.

He smiled at her while brushing through his hairs, his eyes scanning her whole body before accepting the fact that he'll have to let her go for some time.

"I promise!"