17▸17

"Rose! Rose! Bahorel, do you know where she is?," Eponine asked while running between the costumers in the cozy café. She had spotted him standing with others and knew that the boy had to know where she was. 

"Uhm, upstairs," he answered, feeling like he is stating the obvious. He was curious why she was in such a rush, so he followed her and walked on the stairs to the meeting room.

"What's wrong?" Rose had heard her female friend  screaming for her and was worried something bad had happend. She placed down the papers in her hand and walked to the brown haired girl. Eponine had the skirt of her long dress for a part in her hand, preventing herself from falling over the dark green fabric.

"There is something happening at the house of that old lady that worked with you," she explained, gasping for some breath.

Rose her eyes went wide, she looked at Eponine with pure shock and tried to ask her more, but the words didn't come. She didn't want to waste any second, so she pushed the people that stood in her way, to the side and tried to go to the small, old house. 

"You need to calm down first, it might be nothing at all," Marius said, holding his arm in front of her so that she couldn't go any further.

"I have to go! Something very bad might be happening and I want to prevent that."

"Rose?"

"Let me go!," she demanded, slapping his hand away while staring at him with an angry expression. Her eyebrows down and pulled togheter and her eyes in glare, her pink lips narrowed. 

Marius didn't want to fight her, so he took a step to the side and allowed her to leave. Eponine ran after her, wanting to stay close to her dear friend. Her shoulder bumped against Marius, making him place his foot behind him, preventing himself from falling down. 

When they came closer to the home of Rose's dear friend, more people were in the streets. They all wanted to see for themselves what happened, but the young lady fought her way through. She needed to help Elodie, she needed to be there for her. She was almost sure she saw smoke up in the sky, the smell of fire and things burned filling her nose. 

"The fire started so fast, we couldn't do anything," someone on the street said, it was the younger boy who lived two houses away from Elodie. Rose had seen him multiple times, on his way to his job. He always waved to her, showing his kind smile and sometimes he even stopped to talk to her. 

Rose felt the blood rise to her head, hearing nothing anymore except for the blood presure in her ears. Her hands started to sweat and her eyes started to water, it was all so scary to her. She didn't want to believe that something bad might have happened, that Elodie might be hurt. 

When she saw the house, her heart dropped and her throat became extremly dry. The white house almost pitch black, glass was shatered and some wooden planks were gone in ashes. The roof had fallen to the ground, destroying everything that layed underneath. It looked as if the Devil took a wall out with his big claws, not looking at the effect of his actions. 

"Elodie?," she screamed out, her voice very clear and loud. She cupped her hands around her mouth,making sure that her words were heard by a lot of people. She started to panick, her breathing stopped and she felt her lungs burn.

Eponine ran as fast as she could to her, just so that she would be on time to catch her friend in her arms. Rose was unable to stand on her own feet and her thoughts and emotions were stopping her from functioning normally. Rose could vaguely see a person walking in front of her, laying her hand on her shoulder and holding her face in the palm of her other hand. She couldn't see who it was, since her mind wasn't doing what its supposed to and made everything around her blury. It appeared to her that she saw everything three times next to each other. The person whispered her name slowly, trying to bring her back from this state she was going through. Eponine still held her in her arms, but the grip became looser and she could hear her heartbeat slowing down. She became calmer and that help her as well. 

She started to see everything in the normal way, her hands had their own shape again and her eyes were able to adjust to its surroundings. Everything became clear for her, even the person in front of her. 

"Elodie!"

"It's okay, love. I'm fine, don't worry," the older woman reassured her, the thumb of the hand that layed on Rose's cheek, slowly moving from side to side. She didn't have the normal smile on her face, but that isn't strange, since her house just had fire everywhere. 

"Are you hurt? Can I help you with anything? I can bring you to a safer place and give you something to drink, you might need it to calm down," Rose told her dear friend. She tried her best to stand on her feet again, Eponine helping her by holding her up. 

"I am okay, I wasn't here when the fire started," Elodie explained with her soft voice. 

"I'm sorry this happened to you, I wish I could've done something."

"You being here means a lot to me, you showed you care and that's the most important thing" Rose layed her arms around Elodie and hugged her tightly. She had missed the older lady and now she finally saw her again. Eponine stood to the side, not wanting to interrupt the touching moment between the two. She had her arm around Rose and listened to the friends talking. The older woman had a nice voice and a kind way of talking, she appeared to be a welcoming lady who cared about everyone in her life. 

Rose told Elodie that there was a place for her to stay for the night, that she shouldn't worry about that. She also wanted to introduce her to the les amis, knowing that the person have been wanting to meet them for a long time. She wanted to talk with them about the protest, about equality and about whatever their plans are for the future. Elodie loved it that Rose was already a part of their group, finally found a place where she was welcome and a place that was a home to her. She had been helping the people from France and now she could do even more.