19▸19

Rose her long brown hairs rested on her covered shoulders, the light pink color of her dress beautifully contrasting against her skin

Rose her long brown hairs rested on her covered shoulders, the light pink color of her dress beautifully contrasting against her skin. The scars on her hands and the small lines on her arms revealed, the hot weather not allowing her to cover her past with fabric. She had some pamphlets in her hands, they had a warm feeling from the sun burning on the paper. She handed them out to the people standing around her, talking to them with a bright smile on her face.

Months had gone by since they came up with the idea of the barricades, most of their plans were complete and ready. They could feel the revolution coming closer, the screams for equality louder and the people more determined to fight their lives away. The poor trusted the Les Amis with their future, the students were able to change it to something better, they were able to change France and its people.

"Vive la France!," Gavroche screamed enthusiastically, Courfeyrac carried the child on his shoulders and repeated the sentence. He had one hand in the air, the other close to his young friend to prevent him from falling.

Rose parted herself from Eponine, who was gazing at Marius with love laying in her eyes. The young lady in the pink dress sat down on her knees in front of a small toddler, giving back the doll to the girl. She laid her thumb on the little girl's cheek and brushed away some dirt. The black haired girl started smiling at the young lady, her smile pushing against Rose's finger. Rose placed a loose strand of hair behind her ear and told the child to go to her mother. The toddler thanked her very kindly and skipped back to her family.

"Look down and show some mercy if you can!," the poor screamed, looking around to find others to join them in the revolution that is going to happen. They had their arms in the air and held the papers in their hands.

"Look down, look down! Upon your fellow men!"

"When it's gonna end?," Courfeyrac asked the two men on the stage, who were looking around to see everything that happened around them.

"When we gonna live?"

"Something's gotta happen now!," Joly told them while giving an older man a sheet of paper.

"Something good, my dear," Rose said to the person next to her, who was crying for help and asked her if the world will change into something brighter. It was a young mother who held a small baby on her arms, the toddler with the doll hiding behind her legs. Her skin looked grey and her cheek had fallen, her cheekbones sharp from the fat she didn't have on her body. The woman didn't have a lot of food and the food she had, she gave to her two children. The woman loved her family dearly, but she needed others to tell her that everything will be alright. Rose had her hand on the woman's shoulder and reassured her with only the sparkle in her eyes. The young lady believed in something and that gave her hope.

"Where are the leaders of the land? Where is the king who runs this show?" Enjolras said loudly, his anger against the rulers of France noticeable in his voice.

"Only one man, General Lamarque, speak for the people here below," Marius added.

Courfeyrac walked from the house after them to his leader, the blond haired man listening to whatever his friend has to say. He tilted his head backwards, so that his ears got closer to Courfeyrac. Enjolras closed his eyes shortly, shocked from the news he just heard. He looked at Rose, who appeared confused with question in her expressions. Her attention was on him, the woman she helped had walked away and left her behind.

"Lamarque is ill and fading fast! Won't last the week out, so they say," he told the crowd, who were as surprised as him. Their eyes widened and their mouths fell open, it was news they didn't expect to hear.

"With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgment day?"

Enjolras rested his hand shortly on Marius' shoulder, but his speech made his motions bigger and his hands helped him use his voice more loudly.

"Before we cut the fat ones down to size?"

"Before the barricades arise?," everyone screamed out, liking the plans the students had in mind. All turned to their families with a smile on their face, hope filling up their hearts.

The sounds of horses entering the streets, made them silent their voices and stare at the police who tried to stop them from rebelling. Enjolras jumped off the small stage he stood on and made his way to Rose, to prevent her from getting hurt. Marius talked to some people, others yelled against the men dressed in dark blue uniforms.

"Marius! Have you any idea of the shame you bring on our family?," the old man asked his grandchild, furiosity laying in his voice. He held his wrist tightly in his hand, his strong grip stopping Marius from leaving.

Rose walked against the old man's shoulder, Marius released himself from his grandfather and allowed his friend to take his hand and lead him away. Rose didn't look back, she only thought about helping him, not wanting this man to hurt her friend with his harsh words. She knew how painful it could be and she didn't want others to experience it as well.

"Marius?," Enjolras asked, trying to figure out if he was alright. The brown haired student smiled as a response, thanked Rose for her actions and left the two alone. He walked to the front of the crowd and protested with the others again, his hand held high in the air.

But the police drifted them away by demanding their horses to close the distance between them and the group. Some had their swords ready, in case they tried to harm them. The poor had a strong will and with these students helping them, they could be more dangerous than Paris ever expected them to be.