6. Sewing + Surprises

Part 1/3 for this update!

Around 3am, I'm snipping fabric, sewing furiously and downing coffee while bopping to "Would You Mind" by PRETTYMUCH.

Presley walks sleepily into my room, her eyes half closed.

When she sees me she perks up immediately. "You're home!" She chirps. She quickly scrunches her eyebrows together. "Actually, boo... I was hoping you'd end up spending the night with Jayce." She plops onto my bed, clearly bummed that I wasn't currently entangled in a mess of sweat and lust with the hot goalie.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but as I've said many times, that's never going to happen," I tell her frankly, recalling that just a handful of hours ago I was literally straddling him. She's going to die when I tell her. Then slap me repeatedly.

"Oh, please," She rolls onto her side to face me, propping up her hand with her hand. "There's undeniable chemistry between you guys, and I swear, when he was here earlier I could've cut the sexual tension like butter."

I roll my eyes, preparing for the impending lecture that will occur when I tell her how I finally drew a boundary line with him.

As I tell her everything that happened at the vineyard, her expression moves from anticipation to shock to pride and comes to an end on annoyance.

"I think we need to scan your brain for deformities, because there's clearly something wrong up there," Presley says with a furrowed brow when I finish my story. "Who in the right mind would turn down Jayce Solis?!" She throws herself down dramatically on the pillows, exasperated.

"I don't know how many times I need to remind of you this little fact, Pres... I do not want to sleep with Jayce."

"Says the girl who straddled him to quote, 'Prove a point.' I am proud of you for that though, I might have to use that move on Cole," she giggles, throws her hands in the air and yells, "RIDE THAT BOY LIKE A STALLION!"

"It worked, though," I defend. "And it wasn't for any purpose other than to show him that I can and will resist him. I wanted him to know that this female isn't going to open up her legs at his beck and call."

"You're impossible," she sighs and flips her dark hair over her shoulder. "You know, as your best friend, I like to think that I can see what's best for you, even if you can't. And I think that a little fling with the bad boy that's literally going crazy to get his hands on you might do you good."

"I'm not talking to you about this anymore," I grumble, starting to get annoyed that she won't drop it.

"You know that your teasing and denial of him just adds fuel to his fire, right?"

"I disagree. He was thoroughly disinterested in me when I told him we shouldn't hang out anymore. Trust."

"C'mon, Fal!" She lets out a laugh of disbelief. "You're not an idiot, you know how guys like Jayce are. He might seem down and out for a moment, but once he gets the chance to lick his wounds, he's right back in the game! Hell, I bet he's going to make his mission for the rest of the year getting you to beg for him."

"That's disgusting." Even though I've repeatedly put him in his place, I have to admit that for some reason, I like the idea of him pining for me, and I hate that I do. I promise myself that if Presley is right, and Jayce doesn't let me go, that I will make him work harder than he's ever had to before - and he will still never get his hands on me.

"Trust me," Presley's voice is serious. "If I know anything about men, I know that you haven't stopped anything. You've actually just made the game even more appealing for him."