41. Graduate + Gratitude

I was worried I'd made an attire mistake as soon as I saw Mom.

The rehab made a special exception and was letting her spend the evening out. When I finished up the paperwork and the receptionist told me I needed to have her back by 9pm, Mom had walked out in a lacy white dress paired with brown gladiator sandals. She had even put on makeup and curled her hair instead of leaving it in her usual bun.

I'd hoped perhaps she was just dressing up because she hasn't left rehab in a while. But, now that we're walking into the convention center, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind - I'm way underdressed.

Turns out, graduations are a formal event.

I tug at the hem of my yellow crop top, desperately wishing I had consulted Presley. It's officially summer, so I thought I'd dress accordingly, but clearly that was a dumb plan.

Mom and I make our way through the auditorium packed with people who clearly knew the dress code and find seats as close to the floor as possible

Mom and I make our way through the auditorium packed with people who clearly knew the dress code and find seats as close to the floor as possible. There's over 800 seniors graduating today. To think... in just a few months, Haven will be in his first year at Brixton University, studying law.

When he'd told Mom about Brixton a few days ago, she'd come totally unglued, but not in the way I'd expected. I thought she'd be livid and forbid him to attend, scream at him to not go into law... but she was all smiles and congrats and cooing over her golden boy.

Mom and I are, of course, late, and the seats of the graduates are over half full. As soon as we take our seats, she slaps my arm and whisper-shouts, "Look!"

I follow her pointing finger and see Haven walking up the aisle proudly. Tears instantly fill my eyes as I watch my brother walk to his seat in his cap and gown. I glance at Mom, and her whose teary-eyed, happy expression matches mine perfectly.

I can tell Haven is looking around for us, but there's no way he'll be able to spot us. There's easily 2,000 people in the stands.

I do, however, somehow manage to make awkward eye contact with Layla Wright. She's sitting on the floor level, towards the stage. She tilts her head to the side and her long blonde curls fall down her torso. Smiling softly, she narrows her eyes, like she's mocking me or knows something I don't. It's weird and I shudder slightly, ripping my eyes away from her. I have no idea what to make of that girl. Does she remember our conversation? Does she hate me? Who the fuck knows. Definitely not me.

Looking at the line of graduates still moving into the auditorium, my eyes instantly move to Jayce as enters. He's practically strutting down the aisle, his cap sitting perfectly atop his curls. God, he looks so perfect.

As soon as everyone is seated, the commencement begins. There's speech, after speech, after speech and an odd amount of singing and other formal-like events. I always thought graduations were read the name, walk the stage, take the paper, done. But apparently not.