26. Melee + Meddle

We hit over 50,000 reads y'all! Whaaaaat! 😍😍

So glad you're loving this story and these characters, it really means to world❤️

You are incredible, absolutely lovely and your support literally makes me smile every day !

~

The following day is a wet one, unlike me.

Jayce's rejection had been enough to put me in a sour mood last night and into this morning, which the stormy weather matched.

Rain had been pouring down since I woke up and it's unrelenting in its insistence to absolutely drench everything in town. Thunder rumbles outside the raindrop-spotted window pane as the lights flicker in the AP Biology classroom. I'm just putting away the last of my lab equipment when the bell rings and the sound of chairs pushing back from desks fills the room.

"Lab report is due on Wednesday! Don't forget," our teacher tuts as the rest of the class scuttles into the hallway.

I quickly gather my books and dash through the door, scanning the ocean of students until I see my target - a thick, blonde ponytail whipping around the corner.

When I saw Layla strutting into class this morning, I had been reminded of the incredible sleuthing Jayce had done when he talked to Shay at the Harvest Party. I was so grateful of the little fact that I knew, for sure, that Layla was the one behind changing me and Haven's tests. Sure, she didn't actually do it, but she's the mastermind behind it. Suffice it to say, I'd been fantasizing about confronting her for the last hour and a half of class, and now was my chance.

I weave in and out of the crowd, running after her as fast as I can. I shove past a group of people when I finally see her swishing hips and bouncing ponytail come to a halt in front of her locker.

Here we go...

I walk up to her, feeling a look of disgust taking over my features the closer I get to the she-devil.

"Oh, hey Fallon!" She flashes me her token fake smile as she twists the combination lock.

"Quick question, bitch..."

She quirks a perfectly plucked eyebrow as she lifts her locker open.

"...What the fuck?" I slam her locker shut immediately, causing her to jump, which brings me an insane amount of satisfaction. "Are you really that much of a coward?"

She folds her thin arms over her chest, her blue eyes dancing wildly, like a snake that has its prey in their sights and can't wait to devour it. "That was two questions. And I might be a bitch, but I am not a coward, Rhodes."

"Oh, really? So it's because you're 'so brave' that you have your best friend do all your dirty work for you?" I feel my heart rate picking up already as I try to imagine how she got Shay to go to such lengths for her.

A smile cracks her lips apart to reveal impossibly bright white teeth as she lets out a shrill giggle. "I don't know what you're talking about, but it sure is adorable," she pats the top of my head patronizingly. "I see why JayJay likes you, you're like a cute little puppy, a little baby bitch!"

Shrugging off her attempt to get me off balance, I lower my voice and zero in on her unfalteringly happy face. "I'm talking about the fact that you are the reason me and Haven currently have failing grades in calculus. You might've been able to pull it off if it hadn't been caught on tape."

I revel in the fact that the tiniest flicker of fear appears in her eyes, but she does a good job of recovering quickly. "You're full of shit," she scoffs, flicking her ponytail behind her shoulder.