03

Xukun's Past (1)

She was a quiet, smart and independent young lady. She loved books and escaping reality, she loved the stars and the moon. I'm lucky, cause she loved me too.

It was senior year in college when we got paired to do a project. It was awkward at first, cause we never really talked. Our personalities conflicted with each other so much. She enjoys the company of books, I enjoy the company of a silly booger and a big mouthed frog.

The project was a difficult one and required long term work.

I was at the cafeteria with Ziyi one day when Linkai told me that she was alone in the library doing our project and looking stressed out.

Shocked, I immediately sat up and rushed to the library to see her. I scanned the room till my eyes found a stack of books and an open laptop sitting in front of a girl, having a mental breakdown.

It was her, of course.

Without much thought, I grabbed the seat next to her and asked,"Why didn't you call me? We're supposed to do this together."

She looked surprised. "But you've got basketball tournaments to worry about. I've got nothing else, I can do it."

"So what? This is a project for two, you shouldn't be doing it by yourself."

She paused before replying, "it's okay really."

"It's not."

"And besides, you've got a reputation to uphold, you can't be seen with someone like me."

Now it's my turn to be surprised, "What?"

"Shh," She whispered. "This is a library, idiot."

I laughed. "And now you call me 'idiot'?"

She ignored me.

"I don't care about my reputation, nor basketball tournaments. This is our project, you have every right to call me for it. Don't just do it on your own because you think you're not supposed to be seen with me."

She stopped, but didn't looked at me.

"Plus, you're cute and I'd want to be seen with you."

She was taken aback and finally looked at me with flaring eyes and anger evident on her face, "Excuse me?"

Cute. I smiled a toothy grin. I closed the laptop in front of her and placed it on her hands and grabbed the stack of books beside it as well.

"Come on, it's lunch time. We should eat right?"

And we did. It was the start of a beautiful friendship. It has been a schedule that we do the project together during lunch. It was really nice getting to know a lot more about her.

She laughs a lot and would crack up even on the corniest jokes. She's got a dimple on the chin. How her eyes will automatically light up when she sees chocolate and many more.

When the project's deadline came, I was a bit sad. There won't be lunches with her anymore. It was time to present our work to the class.

I said a little about it and it was her turn to explain. She was interested in it and as she spoke, I just looked at her without even realizing it. Gosh, I was smiling too.

When she was done, the whole class applauded and our professor looked impressed. I finally popped the question.

"Moon Meifeng, I like you. Will you go out with me?"

 Will you go out with me?"