4- Peacock's den

A certain smell in a house can totally change its atmosphere. If it smells clean, I feel anxious. If it smells food, I want to stay. Gabriel Agreste's mansion smells nothing, it makes me empty.

The whole place is desert. While following him, I try to catch a glimpse of Adrien, but I can't see him anywhere. It's odd. This place doesn't even seem hearty, how was Adrien living until now ? I shiver a bit, remembering the flat. I will never see Nath smiling at me again when I'll open the entrance door.

The night was still clear, letting the moon lighting the study of Mister Agreste by the large windows. A gigantic canvas imitating Klimt's style is almost as high as the wall, throning all the room with its presence. Looking at it, I have to admit that this depiction of his wife is really extreme, as if she is the leader of a cult.

The stylist comes closer to the canvas, pressing his fingers in hidden buttons carved on it. Moments after following him, I find myself in a very eerie place, as if I was out of this world. It is like a dome with a big window opening to the starless sky of Paris, full of white butterflies flying around. Gabriel turns himself to face me. His face is lightly lit by a little ray of the moonlight. It's crazy, it's as if this man didn't age. Although, something creeps me out like hell. He looks emotionless, even more than me.

« I don't want my explanations to be too long. I think you want to stop living your actual life quickly, don't you ?
- Wait... You want to kill me ?
- Killing you ? And risking my career ? No, dear. I want you to work by my side. »

His smile is really creepy. You know, I have the feeling to have came in Satan's den, ready to sign an hellish pact with him. I doubt for a bit, then remember everything that happened right before. Now that my heart is broken in million pieces, I don't think I have any more choices. Just to be sure, I still want to understand more things.

« I think we have loads of time for you to explain me some things... Mister Agreste ? Hawkmoth ?
- Any name that suits you.
- I... I see... So, you're the one who was terrorizing Paris for so long, are you ?
- I honestly thought it was obvious by now. Do all of your other questions are so simple or can we start ?
- O...Of course not !
- Stop stuttering. You're way too anxious. But don't worry, we'll work quickly on that.
- Well, stop acting like a mysterious shitty villain full of himself and maybe try to explain me clearly why you suddenly come back for me and what do you want ? »

I never thought I could be that direct without stuttering. I am getting kind of angry because of his attitude, he makes both of us lose time. He smiles with a contented look, joining his hands together.

« That's the kind of attitude that I'd rather have from you, dear. Of course, you deserve some explanations.
You already know that I am Hawkmoth, holder of the butterfly miraculous, trying to get the ladybug and catnoir's one to fulfill one of my biggest wishes. Around one year ago, I finally managed to get my hand on the black ring. I guess most of you deduced that my son was its holder. We were all surprised by this fact, Ladybug too, certainly. She couldn't do anything to save him, and I still have the ring. But discovering that Adrien betrayed me... I had to... Confine him. He's the most precious thing in my life, you know. I don't want anything bad to happen to him. »

He marks a pause. If he has been able to keep his son imprisoned in his mansion, what is he going to do with me ? I start to regret my decision.

« I've decided to retrieve for a bit. One year, exactly. Ladybug is way more powerful than Cat Noir and I had to be careful to get her earrings. And that's where you're becoming helpful. I know you are desperate right now and that you want to stop existing. We can make your life more meaningful, you can become the greatest villain of Paris and avenge yourself of everyone who broke your heart. This... Nathaniel, right ? Do you think it's really because of alcohol that he behaved like this ? With only three drinks ? He was just being disrespectful with you and played with your feelings. You deserve better than that. You deserve to be more powerful and to make them fear you. If you agree to help me and to get Ladybug's miraculous, I can give you great powers, just like mine. You can finally be respected for who you truly are. »