05

The morning light peeped through the curtains of the newlyweds' room, awakening the small figure laying on the sofa. Youngjae slowly opened his eyes and squinted to the large windows, almost grimacing at the sunlight. 

When he stood up and looked over towards the large bed, he noticed there was nobody in it. Jaebum must have left early, he thought to himself. He slipped on the furry slippers beneath him and made his way to the bathroom, where he freshened up to start his day. 

He had a half hour to spare so he took his time eating breakfast and calling his mom to check up on her. After two rings, someone picked up.

"Hello?", a female voice spoke. 

"Mom! It's Youngjae.", he said in excitement upon hearing his mother's voice. 

"Oh finally! How have you been? Are they treating you well?"

"I'm doing fine. How's everything going back home? How're you?"

He heard her sniffle a little before she answered, "Well, your brother is doing great -- Mrs. Im hired a tutor for him just yesterday. He actually has a session in a couple hours!" 

It was silent for a while, Youngjae just held up his phone against his ear as he listened to his mom's silent breathing. He hated being away from home. Though it had only been a day, he wished to be home again in the shared room of his and his younger brother's, humming a soft melody as he tried to put both of them to sleep. 

However, for now he had to stay put with the given situation and hoped that someday, all this would become routine for him. 

"I miss you guys.", he spoke quietly. 

"We miss you too, Youngjae. But remember what we're doing this all for. We'll come to visit soon!"

~

Youngjae sat in the backseat of the driver's car, looking out the window and humming the new song he had in mind. He thanked the man in the driver's seat when climbing out of the car, and jogged into the building as he anticipated Hanmin's thoughts on the song he had offered him. 

He put his weight onto the door to open it with a piece of paper in hand. Hanmin was already seated on his chair in front of a desktop, fingers tapping away on the keyboard.

"'Morning, sir.", he greeted.

"Youngjae! What've you got today?", the man said, turning his chair to face him. 

"I've a new song that I think will match your theme for this year's quarterly session.", he spoke with pride as he handed the paper to him.

Hanmin pulled down his glasses to read the lyrics, 

it's bittersweet, the way you treat me

it's confusing don't you see 

one act of kindness, one look of coldness

unspoken love at its finest 

"Do you have the chords for this?"

~

"Sir, your mother's on the phone.", Jaebum's assistant said at the doorway of his office, a phone in hand. 

"Tell her to leave a message.", his boss said, eyes not leaving the laptop in front of him. 

"Uhm sir, it's about your -- spouse." 

This made Jaebum stop his typing, his index finger landing on the 's' key which caused a long line of esses on the document. He brought his hand out in front of him, signalling for the phone.