Shadow

Maria arrived at Luz' house who was walking out of the door at that precise moment with a frustrated and angry look. Maria heard the screams even after the door was closed, even if she could not understand what was being said.

"Fight" Stated Luz unnecessarily while she rolled her eyes. "They can't go one day with out a fight. One day!" She exclaimed annoyed. "I keep telling them to get a divorce but..." Luz caught herself, realizing she had not even said hi and was already talking way to much and to fast, as she usually did. " let's just go. I don't want to be here any longer."

After giving each other a hug, both girls walked towards the plaza quietly for a couple of blocks. Luz had been Maria's friend since they were little, Maria could still remember when she first met Luz in kindergarten. She arrived accompanied by both of her parents who were holding her hands while she happily skipped along, her pigtails swinging from side to side. Being this a small town, they grew up together and became best friends since then. Maria loved Luz, her happy nature was a positive light in her life.

Luz was the prettier friend of the group, and Maria liked that, as she usually preferred to be in the background and go unnoticed. Luz was the life of the party, a flirtatious girl that liked to have all the guys attention, something thing that she easily accomplished. Today Luz was wearing tight denim, with a short and loose shirt that showed her bellybutton as well as part of her sports bra. Maria admired how Luz was able to feel comfortable with that kind of clothing knowing that men were going to look and gape at her. Maria for the contrary preferred loose clothing as to no accentuate any part of her body, the uglier fitting, the better. She did not wanted unwanted attention. Maria kept looking at her friend with a smile as she started to talk about her Saturday night.

"...and he asked me if I wanted to go to his house, said his parents were not there." Said Luz as she described how she spent the night with her now new "friend". As she walked and talked she passed her hand through her long black hair, a way she had to unconsciously drive attention to it. Her light skin was the perfect complement to her curvy body, her baby doll face adorned with her green eyes had a happy semblance painted on it. "we heard his parents arrive when we were in the middle of ...you know... we had to keep doing it quietly" She laughed "I never thought I would be the one sneaking out of someone's house."

" Luz..." was all that Maria could say as she laughed and shook her head. Her friend was a free spirit.

Both girls walked to the center of the town, where the "important" landmarks were. The plaza was at the middle of the town to its east was the old church made of rocks. The old church was creepy looking or so Maria thought, and right next to it was the new church, a building that was not even twenty years old and a lot more smaller. To the north of the plaza was the city hall, a shabby looking building that needed a good remodel according to Maria's perception. To the west of the plaza was the biggest store of the town, the one that sold even clothing, and had a small pharmacy inside. This was the store every body went when they could not find what they needed in the other, smaller groceries stores that were placed around the town.

When the both girls arrived, Maria noticed that their friends Luis and Carlos were already there, sitting at one of the corners of the plaza that were adorned with big useless steps. Useless as people could basically walk around them to cross, as the plaza had no gates, walls or anything but trees separated by several feet as a boundary. Carlos and Luis were a couple of years older than Maria. They were cousins as both of their mothers were sisters, and they both looked like brothers. Luis being the tallest of the two, both of them were slim, brown haired, brown eyed young men and with a slightly bronzed brown skin complexion. Luis being her best male friend had a special place in Maria's heart, but it was Carlos in whom her sight seemed to linger for the longest time. It was Carlos who always stole that shy smile that Maria had only for him. With Carlos and Luis were other friends from school, some older than Maria who didn't attend to school anymore, some that were the same age as her. Luz and Maria walked towards them and also sat at the steps.