Knife

The day after Maria and Carlos had become a couple, Maria woke up feeling happier than she had felt for a long time. She was smiling as she brushed her wavy and long brown hair. For the first time in a while she was able to look at herself in the mirror with out feeling disgusted, after all, she knew now that someone could look at her with a sincere and pure admiration. Maria knew she was not an ugly girl. In fact, that was one of the problems. Her breasts were large, her waist was small, her hips were wide just the right amount. She had a slim body with the right amount of curves in the right amount of places. As for her face, there was nothing special there, small lips, brown eyes, a couple of freckles, that smooth skin that most of young people had. The thing was that she disliked looking like that, she wished she had a body that would not attract undesirable looks to her chest or butt. That was the reason why she chose to always wear clothing that were two sizes to big for her body, in the attempt to camouflage her curves. As for her hair, she chose to not even fix it most of the times, she would wear a pony tail, or a high bun. As for make up, that was out of the question, she didn't even own any.

Some how, this morning was different, for the first time in a while, Maria chose to wear clothing that was a little more tight to her body. She felt a little uncomfortable, but she also felt good, she even felt pretty. With a smile Maria walked down stairs and went to the kitchen to see if she could help her mom with breakfast. As it was Sunday morning, her mom was home, she closed the store on that day. When Maria's mom saw her, she smiled, but didn't dare to say anything to not make Maria more self conscious of what she was wearing. Maria knew her mother loved her new look, she was always telling her how beautiful she was, and how much better she would look with clothes that actually fit her properly.

"Good morning!" Said Maria cheerfully to her mother who seem to be making pancakes.

"I see," answered her mother, "it is indeed a good morning." Both, Maria and her mother laughed.

"Carlos asked me out last evening." Said Maria casually, Carlos has informed her the previous evening that he had already asked her mother for permission to go out with her daughter. It was a cultural tradition in the small town, a little old fashioned, but a tradition that most youngsters followed were the males usually asked the females' parents for permission to date them.

" Finally!" Exclaimed her mother "I thought he was never going to find the courage to do it." Maria looked at her mother raising her brows, astonished at her mother's easy going reaction. "He is a good kid, he helps his family, is a good worker, was a good student. I have always liked him for you." She informed her daughter, although Maria had suspected it already.

"He is coming this morning," Maria informed her mother, "we are going to walk to Luis' house." she looked for her mother's reaction at the mention of her going to Luis' house, but her expression did not change as she continued to make the pancakes. It was not surprise, Maria knew that her mother also had a good opinion of Luis. "I guess Luis wants to show me something?"

At that moment two things happened at the same time: there was a knock at the door, which both Maria and her mom knew it would be Carlos, and at the same time Alonzo entered the kitchen and asked for a coffee.

"I'll get the door," instructed Maria's mother cheerfully, "can you get the water for the coffee, please?" and with out waiting for an answer she left the kitchen leaving Maria and Alonzo alone.

"Who is at the door this early for a Sunday? " Alonzo asked to Maria's mother, who either ignored the question or did not hear him, when there was no answer he turned to Maria. He was now seeing Maria properly since he had entered the room, and looked at her with his lustful little beady eyes, and his mouth lightly open. Maria froze.

"It's Carlos." Maria answered his question. Then, afraid of getting near him she placed the cup with hot water on top of the table. She placed it as close as she dared to get to Alonzo, but also as far away as she could. Once she left the cup on the table, Alonzo was only barely to reach the cup.