Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Castle was standing at a window at the far corner of his study, staring out into the darkness.

It was past midnight and all he could think about was if Joanne was sleeping or not, whether she was hurt, or crying, or even worse, unconscious. His fists clenched at the thought. Oh how he would kill that bastard when he got hold of him! Whoever this animal was, he was a heartless man to take a child away from her home, from her mother and father, and then demand money in exchange for her.

He was putting a price on her life and Rick felt sick at the thought. Joanne was not something you could put a price on. She was a priceless gift to his life, just like Alexis, when Joanne was born, it changed his life. She made him a better man and just as he did for Alexis, he was ready to put his life on the line for her.

If the price for her life was his, he'd readily give it up. His life's dreams were all mostly fulfilled; she still had years of dreams to make true. He knew that if Kate ever found out what he was thinking about right now she would have slapped him. She'd break at the thought of losing him in a bargain of getting her daughter back. But that was not going to stop him if it came down to that.

He knew if it did, Kate would forgive him one day in the future.

Kate. where was she right now? He walked to the living room and found her sitting beside Martha, deep in thought. Alexis was wide awake too, none of them could even think of sleeping right now. There were more important things to think about. Just then he spotted Sorenson move to pick up a call on his cell phone.

He ignored him, allowing his gaze to travel back to where the rest of his family was situated. Sorenson returned to his seat at the desk set up by his team near the phone to track ransom calls, and just as he sat down the phone began to ring. Everyone's eyes turned to the phone.

Kate hurried towards it, hand steady on it, looking towards Sorenson to check if he was recording it and when he nodded for her to answer she did.

The message was clear. The kidnapper asked for a sum of 5 million dollars and said to arrange for the money until he informs them of the time and venue where the exchange would happen. He also said he wants the writer to be the one to do the exchange and not the cop. Of course, he was trying to avoid making contact with an angry mother who was well trained to take him down.

Castle arranged for the money. According to Sorenson, they were going to follow the instructions given to them by the kidnapper. And now, all they could do was wait. The pressure was getting to all of them.

It was early morning now, and Castle was in his study, sitting at his desk, and just waiting. He heard the sound of a voice and got curious.

It was Sorenson's voice, he walked out of his study and saw him sitting really close to Kate. It was just them in the living room, he was whispering assurances to her, and she looked so broken.

Sorenson put his arm around Kate and castle felt his blood boil.

He had no right to feel this way right now, Kate was in a state where she needed comfort and Sorenson was giving her that. But castle wanted to be the only one who could do that, so of course he was uncomfortable.

And then to add to his discomfort at the scene, Kate leaned into Sorenson and began crying at his shoulder. Castle was not goanna stand here and watch this.

He walked in and sternly said "what's our next move?"

Kate looked to him, wiped her eyes, straightening herself up, he was not making eye contact with her, she knew something was up.