Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Castle laid out the sheet on the couch in his study. He sat down and ran his hand down his hair and face. He had never experienced something like this before. He had just saw Kate, with tears overflowing her eyes, standing beside their bed, obviously feeling horrible about everything that had happened, everything she said to him, everything she didn't let him say to her, everything she ignored him about.

He knew Kate wanted to apologize, but he couldn't take it, not tonight. He was tired. His eyes were hurting from the lack of sleep. He though back on the days events. He had been scared for his daughter's life. And when he saw her, he felt relieved. But he was still alone. His wife was not by his side when he had to take on that huge, armed man. He had no cover when he took that step forward to attack the man. Kate was not near him. Kate was at home, thinking he was ridiculous to think that Sorenson would kidnap their daughter. Castle felt alone. Betrayed.

He fought with the man with one aim in his mind, and that was to bring Joanne home to Kate. But Kate, Kate had not even cared to listen to what he had to say, and that hurt. It hurt him a lot. And even though Kate now knew how wrong she was, she wasn't there when he asked her to hear him out. So no, he was not going to talk to her right now. He didn't want to. He needed time to calm his anger, his restlessness. Castle was tired.

As he laid himself down on the couch, he closed his eyes and told himself, that tomorrow, he would listen to what Kate had to say. Tomorrow. But for now, he wanted this space. And he hoped she understood.

Kate cried bitterly into her pillow. She couldn't bring herself to move. Castle had never left her alone this way. Even when they would fight, he'd never resorted to sleeping on the couch, away from her. And she knew she deserved it. She had done him wrong. She had refused to listen to him, and ridiculed his theory, which proved to be right in the end. She felt foolish.

How could she have let him go that way? She was his wife. He was her Husband. 7 years of being together should have made her wiser. Through thick and through thin they had vowed to each other. 'But no, Kate, you went ahead and hurt him. You yelled and screamed at him. You let him go off alone to find your daughter. And he did. He brought her back home, safely. But he had to do it alone; you weren't there to help him. So much for vows Kate, he kept his, you didn't.' Kate's conscience was laughing at her.

She needed to make this right. She needed to show him how sorry she was, how she regretted her actions and words, how she just wanted him to talk to her again. She needed to mend his heart, so that hers would be healed too. She wiped at her tears and stood up from the bed. She walked out into the study and to the couch he was lying in. He was asleep. Deep in sleep. And she couldn't wake him, she didn't want to. He needed the rest. He looked so tired, so drained.

That's when she saw the scar on his head again. He wouldn't have had to take that hit, had she been there with him. She was a trained cop, she would have fought single handedly and come out victorious without a scratch on any of their bodies, had she been there with him, had she believed him. 'Victory' being: her family back home together, happy.

Kate sat on the ground, in front of him. She watched him sleep. His chest steadily rising with every breath he took. She softly traced the line of his face. He was a beautiful man. He deserved to be loved in the same amounts that he gave love to others. He didn't deserve to be treated the way she treated him these past few days. She could never be as amazing a spouse as he is. She lightly touched his scar, he stirred in his sleep. She played with the little hair that was falling onto his forehead just next to the scar,

"I'm sorry Castle, I'm so sorry " she choked on her own words as sobs began to take over her.

She got up, and quickly ran out of the room.

Kate was startled when she heard someone moving in the kitchen, she steeped closer towards it and saw her Dad getting himself a glass of water, she walked over to him, and when Jim Beckett saw her, he knew something was wrong.

Jim Beckett was not used to seeing his daughter crying, at least not ever since castle has come into her life. So as he held his Daughter in his embrace and she cried bitterly against his shoulder, he knew whatever was worrying her had to be serious. he rubbed his hand on her back, soothing her, and when she finally got hold of herself, she pulled away, slightly embarrassed for breaking down like that in her father's embrace. He then looked her in the eyes and said "Katie, What's wrong?"

She sighed heavily, the tears ready to flow out again, but she held them in.

"Dad, I really messed up this time. Rick's not talking to me."

"Katie, I'm sure whatever it is, you can sort it out with him"

Kate interrupted "no dad! This is not like that. He's sleeping on the couch right now, he said he didn't want to talk to me, he's never done that before, what if I've hurt him so bad, and he doesn't want to forgive me, God! I've messed this up so bad!" she was now staring at the ceiling, refusing to let tears fall out again.

He held Kates hand and gave it a light squeeze and reassuringly said, "Richard castle has been in love with you from the day he set eyes on you. He is a kind, gentle loving man. And I'm sure, he will accept your apology Katie. You just got to show him that you still love him the same."

"What if he doesn't want me anymore dad?"

"Now Katie, don't go there. Rick loves you with all his heart. You can see it in his eyes. Maybe he just wants time to sort things out in his head. Give him the space he needs, but not too much, you have to show him that you're here for him. He's gone through a lot in the past two days. I can just imagine how stressed out he is."

Kate nodded; she knew what she had to do now. She would wait till the sun rose, and till he was awake and then she would try to win him back. She knew he would forgive her eventually, but she needed to show him he mattered in her life. That he owned her heart, body and soul.

After wishing her dad a goodnight, Kate walked back into the study and sat back down on the ground, in the place she was before. She pulled the sheets higher up his body; she knew he must be cold. And she sat there, watching the rise and fall of his chest until it lulled her to sleep, her head resting on the edge of the couch, and her body in the same sitting position.