Part 14

"This place is better then our old cafeteria, at least," Luke hummed as he stepped up to the line of waiting students.

Ava snorted. "I don't see how. It's practically the same except less organized and a lot louder."

Peter had to agree with Luke on this one. It was a lot brighter and more cheerful. People seemed to actually be enjoying themselves and their friends. The room may have been a mess and filled with annoying students, but he really didn't mind. He was one of the annoying students now. This is amazing.

They stepped up with their trays to a buffet with a few big ladies giving out food. Danny was the first one to get the goop slopped onto his hamburger bun. Sam made a face and cringed back.

"Is that even edible?" He wondered out loud. A few teens gave him wide eyed looks that told him they agreed.

"Yes!" One of the ladies snapped, causing Sam to flinch back. She slapped the brown lump of who-knows-what extra hard on his plate, splattering it on his pants.

Sam shrieked in horror and pulled his tray away quickly. Even Danny chuckled as he frantically tried to wipe it away.

"Yeah, yeah," he glared at them. "Laugh it up, chuckleheads. I'm bringing something to eat next time."

He dodged another shot from the woman and danced away to a table, the rest of the team following. Peter thought that it was about time Sam had gotten what he had been asking for. He also decided that lunch ladies were not people to mess with.

"Nice thinking, Peter. Try something new, Sam. Don't worry about it, Sam. It'll be great, Sam! Well guess what? School. Is. Horrible!"

"You're just being dramatic," Peter rolled his eyes as they claimed an empty table near the back. "It's actually kinda fun."

"Is your head full of cob webs?" Luke stared at him. "All they do here is work. That's it. This here, is the only break they get all day."

"More then we used to get," Danny pointed out and braved a bite of the sort-of sloppy joe.

"Maybe if you guys really tried to do things," Ava hissed. "You would enjoy it more–"

"Hey–um..." Peter snapped his head up to find the boy from earlier - Miles - standing behind them, shifting his weight from foot to foot nervously. "Sorry, but could I...would you mind if I sat with you guys? I don't really have any other frien...places to go."

Peter blinked, but quickly overcame his surprise. "Sure kid."

He shifted to the right so that the younger teen could sit next to him. Miles sighed in relief and thanked him. "But you do realize you're only like two years older then me."

"With age comes the right to call thy younger generation 'kid,'" Peter told him with a smirk.

Miles snorted a laugh as Danny, Sam and Luke looked on in confusion.

"Peter, are you going to introduce us?" Luke asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, right," Peter gestured toward the boy. "Guys, this is Miles. Miles, this is Danny, Luke and Sam."

He pointed to them in turn and Miles offered them all welcoming smiles. "What's up?"

"School sucks ass, that's what," Sam shot back. "I'm probably going to leave, get some training in or something."

"Oh, what are you training for?" Miles asked innocently as he took a bite of goop sandwich.

"Uh–"Ava elbowed Sam hard in the side. "Marathon!" He spat and massaged his side in pain.