Part 16

(I should probably update Spiderkid... but I'm too into this for now.)

Peter carefully and quietly opened the window to the hall. He was really wishing his bedroom had a skylight or something right about then. If any of the Avengers saw him in a burned up red jacket and an old ski mask, they would surely be suspicious. He hoped to avoid Ava and Luke too. Who knows what they would say about his spontaneous act of heroism?

Not to mention what Sam and Danny were probably thinking right then. He had ditched them at the apartment building without telling them where he was going or what in the name of hell he just did. And Miles...

Oh fick. Miles wasn't stupid. He would have noticed that as soon as he disappeared the masked man showed up to save that boy. Good job, Parker. Really messed this one up. So much for incognito.

Aww, he head left his longboard too. He had seriously started to get attached to it.

The pain in his back brought him back to the present as he crawled through the half open window. He wasn't sure how bad it was, but it felt like he was being stabbed with old, rusty knives. Peter crept across the hall, peaking into the living room cautiously.

Vision was the only one in there, cleaning in the kitchen half of the room. Apparently he had been stuck with dish duty. Or he might have volunteered. Peter never knew when it came to the man-droid.

Said arachnid tip toed past the open doorway and made it to his team's hall. He relaxed slowly as he pushed the door open to his own room and stumbled inside.

"Thank god," he wobbled weakly for the connected bathroom.

When he twisted his back the wrong way, his trophies flared up again. The teen hissed through clenched teeth and leaned heavily on the granite sink.

He pulled the ski mask off with little difficulty and stared at himself. His clothes were smeared with dark ash, the red jacket painted grey in some places. The mask had left a Smokey mark across his eyes from the long hole in it. He chuckled at his robber-like face paint.

Now onto the hard part. Getting that damned jacket off.

There was a choke behind him. "Peter?"

Ava's papers slid out of her hands and floated to the floor unnoticed as she stood frozen in the open doorway. Staring at his back. Which was most likely covered in angry red blotches with burnt jacket.

"What in the name of hell did you do, you idiot?" She gasped and strutted quickly across the room as he swayed.

"I've had worse," he grunted and started to slide his arms out of the sleeves, which only made him growl in frustration and pain.

Ava glanced around helplessly before narrowing her eyes at his desk. Peter didn't see anything nearly as interesting as she seemed to.

The Tiger swiped a can of pens from it and dumped them out, picking away the scissors. She glanced back up at him quickly.

"Um, no. Nuh uh," he shook his head. "I still remember what happened last time you got a hold of one of those. No thank you."

"Your scissor-phobia can wait, Spidey," she huffed and sat him on his bed. "Now let me help you."

Peter rolled her eyes at her attitude, but did as she asked. He winced every time the sharp tip trailed over a burn, Ava mumbling apologies every time. Eventually he slipped what was left of it away, along with his ruined T-shirt. He nearly rolled his shoulders back freely, but thought better of it almost immediately.

"I'm going to find Luke," Ava sighed.

Peter's head snapped up. "Why?"

She narrowed her eyes. "He knows how to wrap people up better then me. You know that."