Part 8

(Recap: Ugh you guys know what's going on. I'm done. So done.
Did I scare you guys with the end of part six? Bwahaha)

Sam rubbed his face tiredly as the team walked down the street in their civilian clothes.

"You know, webs," he yawned. "When you told us you knew a guy, I at least hoped it was a guy we trusted. Not...this guy."

Peter sighed. "He knows how to hide from HYDRA. I don't want to see the idiot again any more then you do."

"Yeah, I know, but..." he groaned. "Does it have to be Deadpool?"

(Disclaimer: No Spideypool. I only broship it. I don't ship ship it.)

"It's all I've got," Peter spread his hands. All four of his teammates grumbled, but didn't contradict him.

When Wade had left HYRDA he did offer that any of them could join him. They didn't for reasons including the time he shoved Sam's head in a toilet at eleven, when he stabbed Peter in the gut at twelve and when he poisoned Luke at thirteen so that he could go on a mission. There were many more instances like those. They hadn't seen him in two years, but HYRDA has complained enough about him that the team new what the mercenary was doing these days.

"How do you even remember the number?" Luke asked in disgust. Peter didn't blame him.

"He doesn't," Ava told him. "I do. Photographic memory, remember?"

"Oh, yeah," Luke mumbled.

Danny glanced around. "Why did he want to meet us here?"

It didn't take Peter long to figure it out. He massaged his forehead and pointed across the street. There was a small taco stand that looked newly opened, a vendor shouting out encouragements to people passing to buy his food.

"Huh," Sam squinted. "Didn't realize he was still obsessed with tacos."

Peter tensed as his spidey sense blared.

"It's pronounced chimichangas, Sammy boy," a voice snickered behind them.

They all spun around in defensive positions to find a red and black clad figure leaning casually against an alley wall, swinging a katana around expertly.

"Wade," Peter growled.

"Hiya, Spidey," the merc said happily. "Fancy seeing you here."

—————————

"Bruce, what?" Tony was on his feet immediately.

"The guy that picked up Peter," the scientist hastily brought up a holo screen and began typing. "Have you ID'd him yet?"

Tony sat back down with a sigh. "I already tried all of that Banner. I've been trying it over and over again for nine years. The guy's back was turned to the daycare's camera the whole time."

"What was the name of it?" Bruce insisted. The team surrounded him on the couch, Clint leaning his head over the scientist's shoulder to get a better look at what he was doing.

"Marge's Daycare?" Tony told him in confusion.

Bruce typed for a few minutes, finding the place and having Tony make sure it was right. The billionaire confirmed it and watched anxiously with the rest of the Avengers.

"Here!" Bruce exclaimed and showed the screen to them.

None of them saw anything.

"What are we looking at?" Scott asked impatiently.

Banner rolled his eyes. "The gas station across the street. It's required by law to have a camera outside. It could have caught something."

"Give me that," Tony pulled it away from him, being better at hacking then the radiation scientist. How come I've never noticed this before? Note to self: Bruce is almost as smart as me.

He got in and quickly typed him the date and time. Then he expanded the screen to TV size so that they could all watch.

The recording showed the gas pumps and the daycare, but everyone was focused on the latter. A few minutes into it, a black car drove up and a man got out. He was tall and didn't face the camera as he got out of the car and strode quickly inside. He came out about ten minutes later with two sleeping toddlers in his arms.

"That's Peter!" Nat pointed one out. Tony stared at the sleeping form, regret in his eyes.

The man hastily set the two kids in the backseat and glanced around to see if there was anyone watching. Then he got into the car and drove off at a casual speed.

"FRIDAY, play it back about...ten seconds!" Tony shouted to the AI.

FRIDAY did as requested and played it until Tony yelled for her to pause it when the man looked directly at the gas station.

"Face ID, please," he told the AI.

The Avengers stared in silence. Tony had seemed to forgotten they were in the room, though there was no way they were leaving now.

There was a light ping as FRIDAY got a match.

"Jeremy Parish. Five speeding tickets. One abuse charge. One assault charge. Part of one unsolved case that involved the movement of illegal weapons."

Tony ran a hand through his hair. How was this guy's not in jail?

"Where is he now?"

"Retired. Presumably at his home."

"Which is...?" Tony asked impatiently.

"Would you like the address?"

"Yes!" Steve growled. The Avengers jumped back from his anger.

FRIDAY recited it fluidly. After that, it didn't take long for the team to suit up and prepare for the trip downtown.

———————————

Strucker growled in anger and sweeper everything off his desk. Stark was still alive. His prized soldier had disappeared. All the loose ends he had thought he had tied up, were unraveling.

He realized now that you shouldn't tie frayed ends. You should cut them off and be rid of them. Perhaps get some newer ones, even.

"Isbell!" He snapped to one of his bodyguards outside. The man fumbled with the handle in his hurry to open the door.

"Alert all available personnel that team Ultimate has gone rogue and I want every other team out and looking."

The guard nodded and moved to leave. Strucker stopped him with a hand in the air.

"And remind them that this is not a rescue mission. This is a hunt. Shoot on sight and shoot to kill!"

The guard stood up straight and put three fingers in the air in salute. "Hail HYDRA!"

"Yes," Strucker grinned evilly and returned the gesture.

"Hail Hydra."

—————————

*intensity intensifies*

BTW You're never going to hear the end of my references.

Thank you for everything! 

- Wanda