Chapter 4/Part 2 ~ Bear-traps

The fiery rat, wickedness in shadowy form, was large enough to engulf worlds. A blazing inferno of spite carried through the air on burning wings. He would make the vile Stompess tremble and bow before him...

...if he could find her. The mushrooms across the landscape started so small and insignificant near the mountains, but they grew larger and larger as he scoured the landscape from above. Then he realised it was not they that were growing, but he who had shrunk until he could no longer fuel his wings and fizzled back into his rattish form.

A minor set-back.

He scampered on.

In time he would burn mighty again, until then he would settle for another ball of paper. His hunt led him to a whole trail of scraps to burn. The refuse tasted like home. He blazed through it, from one piece to the next until he caught up with the source.

It was home. Gathered around a fire were the towering creatures he had shared pantries with before he set out on his evil path. One of them had a nice wad of paper.

The rat slipped into their fire.

"Bordo, did you see that big black rat just now?" said the paper-holder as it kindly stoked him.

The rat bent his flame towards the lump of paper.

"Careful of the pages there, darling." said another, and snatched the paper from his grasp.

"Give me that paper!" The rat commanded, reaching again.

He was fanned back with the very thing he was trying to grasp.

"I just heard the rat! Somebody catch it!"

The creatures leapt up and scattered, taking it with them. The rat slumped back on the log he burned over, and found it more satisfying than paper. He could smoulder on it for eternity, but when he cooled to an ember on the coals of his meal, the creatures graciously gave him another three. He blazed with excitement, and they returned to their gathering around him.

He would let them keep their paper.

"Fire's doing better tonight with these old logs. We'll have to stock up on them before we set off again."

"I'm not going near those woods, even if it's good tinder. I saw one move."

"Trees don't move. They're not vegetables, darling."

They bickered for some time, then another joined. It squashed his flame beneath a large, iron object. The rat would have fought back had another not appeased him with another offering of wood pieces.

"Bordo, would you mind reading a little more while we wait on the stew?" said the wood-giver. "We were just getting to the good bit."

There was a cough, then it began.

"Upon the peak of the world stood the Fiend. Wretched as he was fair; his sapphire eyes ablaze with the dark fire of malevolence. Wicked words and false promises had bought him a loyal horde of ghouls, demons and all beings corrupt. Under his black banners the mighty cohort stood, united as one.

"The last light of dusk danced upon his raven hair. A hand raised. The signal was given. The march to destruction began. They would not stop until the world of men lay in ruin.

"Gindolin stepped from his throne and took his Queen's hands to calm her. The clatter of iron and the groan of seige weapons echoed through his hall but he did not let fear bring him low.

"'I shall protect you' he said, noble and proud in his duty.

"'Let me fight beside you,' she implored.