Chapter 2

Pete

        “Peter? Can you hear me?” An unknown woman's voice rang through my ears. I moaned a “ya” in response to her question and managed to get my eyes opened just a bit, only to have them shut from the sudden change from dark to light. “I need to go get the doctor Peter. I will be right back.” I opened my eyes to a squint again just in time to see her walk out the door.

        Fuck. Where am I?

        I forced my eyes open and dealt with the sting I received from doing so to look around. I was in a very uncomfortable excuse for a bed and there was a giant machine beside me displaying my heart rate. I craned my neck so my head popped over the barrier they put up on the other side of the bed and saw a small table packed full of cards, flowers, and stuffed animals. I brought my hand through my hair, only to feel a slight tug and look down to see I had a tube running into my skin.

        “Peter?” A loud knock at the door sent me back into the real world. The nurse peeked her head in to see if I was still awake.

        “Come on.” I waved her in with the hand that wasn't tubed. She nodded quickly, smiling, and walked in, followed by a man.

        “Hello Peter. I am Doctor Stevens. Glad to see you're finally awake; it's been a couple of weeks.” I gave him a look of confusion. “Do you remember why you are here?” I shook my head. “Well, a couple of weeks ago you overdosed on Atavan Haven. Luckily a nice man named Patrick brought you here and we were able to get the pills out of your stomach before they caused any real damage. Unfortunately, you hadn't been responding to us all this time so we had to keep you in here.” He wrote something down on his clip board while the nurse messed with the machines beside me. “Peter, in all honesty I would recommend you see help.”

        “I'm fine.” I looked him straight in the eye and we both shot glances at the nurse when a beeping emerged from the machine. “When can I leave?”

        “If you give us some time to check your vitals and other information to make sure your system is clean, we can get you out by tonight.” The nurse' voice was light, unlike the doctor's loud one. I gave her a smile.

        “Thank you. I just want to get home to my girlfriend, my dog, and my friends, I need to apologize for everything.” She gave me an understanding smile in return and walked out of the room with the doctor, leaving me alone to remember what happened to lead me here.

        I was having an episode, one much worse than any others before and just couldn't handle it. I tried having a drink to dull the pain I felt, but that didn't work. I tried my medication, but that didn't work. So I drove, and drove, until I reached a parking lot. I had left Christa asleep upstairs in our house, unknowing to what I was considering. I had pulled out the bottle and poured them all out on my hand just to have them disappear down my throat. I didn't realize what I did until a few seconds after, and that's when I messaged Patrick about what happened and told him where I was.

        I am so glad he got to me on time.

~~

        “Alright Peter, you are all good to go!” The nurse removed the tube from my hand and started her way across the room to the door.

        “Wait!” She jumped a bit at my sudden exclamation and turned around. I got up off the bed and faced her. “Are there any clothes for me to change into? Because I feel a breeze where I kinda don't want to...” I bit my lip, hoping she'd understand, and watched as she started laughing.

        “Yes Mr. Wentz. We have the clothes you were in when we first got you on the sink in the bathroom.” She spread her arm out to showcase the bathroom door in the corner of the room and smiled before leaving.

        I waited a second before moving around the bed and slinking into the bathroom. It was weird; the whole place was a shower, with the head sticking out of the wall and the drain in the middle of the floor, and the sink was almost bigger than the toilet. I used the restroom, and continued to pull on the red skinny jeans and 'Suck my Richard' shirt I had worn that day. Walking out of the room, I spotted my sneakers and tugged those on before a buzzing on my hip caught my attention. I pulled out my phone, immediately noticing the flashing battery signaling that my phone was about to die at any moment, and unlocked it to reveal a message from Patrick.

        “Call me as soon as you get this.”

        I stood there staring at my phone, wondering if I should interpret it as a “Just so I know you're okay” or “This is an emergency” kind of tone, but texted him back “I'm awake Patrick, going home now.” I made my way through the hallways of medical rooms and found the elevators. My phone vibrated again and as soon as I unlocked it, it shut off.

        Hope that wasn't important.

        I made my way through the maze known as the hospital and stumbled into one of the many parking lots surrounding the large buildings.

        And I have no car.

        I started walking, knowing that I'd hit the city in a few minutes and be able to pick up a cab from there. And so I did. I stared out the window as we drove the crowded streets. Many people were out, and it was later in the afternoon so the sun was casting shadows across the streets, making visions of night time flash on and off. It relaxed me a bit, until we came to a sudden stop and the driver turned to face me.

         “This is your stop?” I nodded and he held out his hand. Thank God I always kept loose bills in my pants because I had just enough to pay him. I unlocked the door and shouted a quick “Thank you” to him while it drifted shut and started my way up the driveway. I noticed my car had been brought back and stood beside my girlfriend's car.

        I am so sorry...

        I ran my fingers along the slick, cool surface of both the cars and finally reached the front door. Suddenly frightened at how unprepared I was to confront her about this whole thing.

        What do I say?! What if she doesn't want to deal with me anymore?! What if she's angry?! What if she's already left?! No. Stop thinking these bad thoughts.

        I grabbed the spare key we kept under a fake rock in the grass beside the door and slowly unlocked the door, making sure to put the key back and blend the plastic rock in with it's surroundings. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

        “Hel- what the...?” The strong mix of scents of different alcohols hit me as soon as I shut the door behind me and flicked on the hall lights. I walked past the tiny hallway separating visitors from the living room and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the small space; there were bottles littering the floor, all empty except for one beside the couch which was full to the point where it didn't pour out the top, and a paper rested on one of the throw pillows that took up the farthest cushion of the couch. I ran over to it, careful to not step on any of the bottles, and shot my hand out to pick up the paper. The writing was slightly messy, as if the person was either shaking our in a hurry, so it was difficult for me to read in the dim lighting.

        “Pete, you've been at the hospital for a couple days now and I know you're probably sick of it but I need you to go back, as soon as you read this. I came in to check on Christa and found her passed out yesterday. She drank herself into a coma and we've been with her in the hospital. The doctors say it's not looking good.. I drove your car back so you can go on your own as soon as you see this... -Andy”

        I dropped the paper on the floor and the realization of what I just read hit me. I almost blacked out standing there but found my feet reacting before my brain did, and one second later I was driving like a maniac down the street towards the hospital. Tears were streaming down my face and I probably ran a few red lights in my haste but I needed to get there as soon as possible.

        She's been in there for two weeks almost?! Please be okay...