Chapter 4

Pete

        I pulled up into the parking lot of the hospital and parked in the nearest two parking spaces, not even caring that I parked that way. I ran as fast as I can up and into the hospital.

        “Which room is Christa Rose in?!” I frantically asked the front desk lady between breathes. She stared at me out of shock and sat there just staring. “I need it nooow!”

        “Oh, um... fourth floor, room 506.” I ran off before she could continue, making my way through the halls, and lost my footing as I rounded a corner.

        My body collided with the floor, head slamming against the tile last. I couldn't hear anything as I laid there except the pounding in my head. It was as if the gravity on my body had multiplied ten fold. I stayed put, looking down the hallway, noticing the doctors standing at the end of it staring and saying something to me. I took a breath in and picked up the scent the hospital held; death.

        I only smell death, no cleanliness or chemicals, just death. Maybe it's because people come here to die, and I am the one who caused someone to come here to do just that. NO! Stop thinking like that! GET UP AND GO!

        I tuned back into the white world to see multiple pairs of sneakers surrounding me. I started getting up but my head argued. The doctors all protested against me getting up but I shrugged off their warnings. After some struggle and regaining my balance when all the blood left my head from getting up too quickly, I got back up and bolted, glancing up at the signs occasionally to make sure I wasn't going to end up on the other side of the hospital, and reached the elevators within what seemed like a minute. I pushed the button, no response. I pushed it again, the door still didn't budge. I repeatedly hit it, finally it opened and I hit the '4' button with a shaky hand. I ran to the other set of doors that mirrored the ones I came through and hit the 'close door' button with an unneeded amount of force.

        Please just be okay.

        The elevator ride up seemed to drone on for hours, the anxiety building up in me from what was going to lie beyond the doors to this floor. The doors to the elevators opened and I came out to face a waiting room filled with people. They looked at me with sadness in their eyes, but I could care less about how they felt right now as my heart was slowly ripping apart. Not taking my eyes off of one judging old lady, I ran over and yanked the door as hard as possible but it didn't budge.

        “You have to press the call button... only they can let you in...” I didn't even turn to see who was telling me this but yelled a quick 'Thank you' before pressing the call button. I felt a wall of tears pushing against my eyes, only one daring to make an appearance.

        “Hello?”

        “Yes...” I choked on my words. “Um... Pete Wentz, I need to see Christa Rose, room five o'six, NOW.” I was tugging at the door.

        “Okay one second sir.” She clicked off of the P.A. system. The world was completely motionless and silent while I stood there; the T.V. that once seemed too loud, now seemed to be on mute and the gathered sobs coming from the room of people disappeared. All of a sudden, I heard a click come from the door and ran in.

        Just be okay.

        I stood in the middle of the lobby room, not knowing which way to go and not being able to read any of the numbers correctly through my tear filled eyes.

        “Which way is room 506?” I slammed my hands against the tile counter of the receptionist's desk to make sure I got their attention. One of the scared ladies pointed over my left shoulder and I bolted.