Chapter 5

I looked back down at the nurses who were all whispering to each other. One of them ran off, and I copied her, taking off down the hall. I looked over my shoulder before rounding a corner and saw everyone surrounding the now sitting Patrick. Tears were forming again, they threatened to sting my eyes and ruin my vision, but I held them in. I ran past the women who were sitting at the lobby screaming at me that there was “no running in the hospital” which I returned with a polite middle finger. I slammed through the exit doors; the once filled room now contained only a few older people who jumped awake when the door slammed against the wall and I flew to the elevators. My breath was all gone so I rested my head against the wall above the button while hitting it repeatedly.

        I need to escape this death trap.

        The doors finally opened and I jumped in, taking the fasted elevator ride I have ever experienced, and ran down the halls. My sneakers squeaked every so often and dared to trip me up at some points, but I made it out without any repeat of the earlier spill. Looking up, I saw I was at the right exit and looked back one last time.

        I will miss you forever Christa.

        I took the chance to catch my breath and walking out into the cool night air. The brisk and fresh air allowed my head to clear a bit, but the fog of my sadness quickly clouded my brain when I heard the faint sound of someone calling my name. I darted, almost getting hit by a car in the process, and stopped in the middle of the lot when I couldn't see where my car was. I wiped my eyes, trying to get a little bit of my vision back, but froze in my spot when my name rang through the night sky.

        “PETE!” I looked back at the hospital and saw Andy emerge, followed by Joe and Patrick, screaming my name as loud as possible while looking over the whole parking lot for me. I wiped my eyes in one last desperate attempt to clear my vision and just barely made out my car a few rows away before ducking behind the truck I was standing by and making a mad dash for it. Andy's calls were joined by Joe's, and Patrick joined to create a chorus of the word I hate the most right now. Reaching my hand into my pocket, I pulled out my car key and fumbled a bit to get it in.

        “PETE!” I dropped my key at the realization that the screams were getting closer. I turned and was met by the sight of all three of them running towards me between cars. Each wore a desperate look on their face, but Patrick struggled with running and dodging the parked vehicles with his swollen eye. I quickly dropped to the floor, grabbed my key, and jumped into my car. I locked the doors, it was my only defense from the outside world right now and I need the protection. Suddenly, my body convulsed in shakes and the tears streamed down my eyes.

        Shit, I'm having an episode...

        I frantically stretched across the middle console to open the glove box and dumped everything out trying to find my bottle, but to no luck. I was panicking, and the yells were getting even louder than they ever were. I opened the middle console and rummaged through it, no luck. When I finished and slammed my fist down, I caught a glimpse of something white on the floorboard. I reached down, aware of the approaching screams, and grabbed the bottle. A wave of relief washed over me as I read the label and opened the bottle, but it all faded when nothing came out of the bottle. I shook it furiously, hoping that maybe they were just stuck, but to no prevail.

        “FUCK!” I screamed in anger and threw the bottle as hard as I could against the window. I looked out and saw that Andy, Joe, and Patrick were within feet of me now. “Leave me alone!” I started the car and pulled out of the parking spot before Andy could reach the car. I drove, skimming a car on my way out, and stopped right before pulling out of the parking lot. I glanced into the rear view mirror and saw the three of them scrambling into cars. I saw Joe's car come to life and floored it out of this cemetery.